Essie Jenkins Torchbearer Scholarship Application
This scholarship honoring Essie Jenkins was established in 1999 through the Torchbearer Program. Five $250 scholarships were awarded from 1999 through 2001 in her honor. Since 2002, two $300 scholarships were awarded annually in her honor. Beginning with the 2008 Spring Semester, one $400 scholarship will be awarded in her honor. Essie Cynthia Burnley Jenkins was the U of L College of Arts and Sciences Alumni Fellow in 1995. She received a Bachelor of Arts in history and political science from the Louisville Municipal College in 1945. Essie Jenkins's professional career began as a Public Librarian in Queens, New York. In 1982 she was elected Assemblywoman of the 29th District of Queens, New York, becoming the first black woman elected to public office in Southeast Queens. She served in that capacity for six two-year terms.
To be eligible for this scholarship, a student must:
- Be an African-American in good academic standing (minimum 2.0 U of L cumulative GPA in the College of Arts and Sciences)
- Enrolled in at least 6 hours in the semester for which the scholarship is awarded.
- Provide a justification statement on the second page for this award.
- Complete and sign this application.
- Two letters of recommendation must accompany this application and be turned in on or before the deadline stated on the attached cover letter.
- Preference may be given to undergraduate students with financial need, outstanding grade point average, community service, and activities outside the classroom.
- Preference may be given to applicants who have a current FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) on file with the Financial Aid Office (web site at www.fafsa.ed.gov).
- All awards must be approved by the Financial Aid Office.
- Complete and sign this application, attach two letters of recommendation and return to the Red Barn Programs Office located in the Red Barn to your left as you enter the hallway from the single door with the awning marked “Intersection” on the South side of the Red Barn on or before Monday, April 22, 2013, at 5pm.
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS MONDAY, APRIL 21, 2014, AT 5PM. Please note that only completed applications with two letters of recommendation attached and received by the deadline will be considered.