DePuy receives 2017 INSIGHT Into Diversity Magazine Giving Back Award
Dr. Gail DePuy is a recipient of the 2017 Giving Back Award from INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine, the oldest and largest diversity and inclusion publication in higher education. The Giving Back Award honors college and university administrators who go above and beyond their everyday leadership duties and “give back” to their campuses and communities. Associate Dean of Academic & Student Affairs for the J.B. Speed School of Engineering, DePuy will be featured, along with 38 other recipients, in the April 2017 Leadership Support and Giving Back issue of INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine.
Giving Back Award recipients were nominated by their colleagues and selected by INSIGHT Into Diversity based on their outstanding demonstration of social responsibility; involvement with students, faculty, staff, and the community; and commitment to serving underrepresented populations. Each honoree is recognized for his or her passion, dedication, and support for diversity and inclusion.
"Dr. Gail DePuy has demonstrated amazing leadership here at the Speed School in the promotion of diversity and inclusiveness." said Dr. John Usher, acting dean of Speed School. "As Associate Dean for Academic & Student Affairs, she and her team have implemented an array of outreach and educational programs to attract and support a diverse group of students, as well as fostering the growth of new student organizations that, in turn, help our students succeed as engineers. I am very proud of her work as a colleague, mentor and role model!"
INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine selected DePuy because of her leadership and steadfast commitment to diversity and inclusion with the engineering community.
“The Giving Back Award is being awarded to leaders of institutions of higher education who exemplify what it truly means to ‘give back’ to others,” says Holly Mendelson, publisher of INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine. “These administrators are role models, and we honor their efforts to promote diversity and inclusion on their campuses and in their communities.”
Other recipients of the 2017 Giving Back Award include:
- Sefa Aina, Pomona College
- Philip S. Bailey, PhD, California Polytechnic State University
- Andra Basu, PhD, MEd, Lehigh Carbon Community College
- Venessa A. Brown, PhD, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
- Marc Burnett, Tennessee Technological University
- Marie Chisholm-Burns, PharmD, MPH, MBA, FCCP, FASHP, FAST, University of Tennessee Health Science Center
- Kathryn B. Chval, PhD, University of Missouri
- Patrick Coggins, PhD, JD, EdS, Stetson University
- Daryll Coleman, PhD, Lane College
- Deborah Deas, MD, University of California, Riverside
- William E. Easterling, PhD, The Pennsylvania State University
- Nitza Milagros Escalera, JD, EdM, Fordham University
- Greer Glazer, RN, PhD, CNP, FAAN, University of Cincinnati
- Natalie Gibson, Kentucky Community and Technical College System
- Craig Hillemeier, MD, Penn State Health
- Lisa Kirtman, PhD, California State University, Fullerton
- Paul L. Koch, PhD, University of California, Santa Cruz
- Ming Li, EdD, Western Michigan University
- Elizabeth G. Loboa, PhD, University of Missouri
- Linda Logan, PhD, Olivet College
- Patrice Gouveia Marks, PhD, Raritan Valley Community College
- Shane P. Martin, PhD, Loyola Marymount University
- Maureen A. O'Rourke, JD, Boston University
- Rafael Ortega, MD, Boston University
- Tonantzin Oseguera, EdD, California State University, Fullerton
- Jennifer Rosato Perea, JD, DePaul University
- Clyde Wilson Pickett, MEd, Community College of Allegheny County
- Yasmin S. Purohit, PhD, Robert Morris University
- Fatima Rodriguez-Johnson, SUNY Geneseo
- Paula T. Silver, PhD, Widener University
- William Silver, PhD, Sonoma State University
- Kelli Sinclair, Waubonsee Community College
- Christina Swaidan, EdD, MEd, Westfield State University
- Charles Taber, PhD, Stony Brook University
- David E. Thomas, EdD, MEd, Community College of Philadelphia
- Gregory Townsend, MD, University of Virginia
- Roberta J. Wilburn, EdD, ThD, Whitworth University
- Victor Wilson, MEd, University of Georgia
A call for nominations for the Giving Back Award was announced in October 2016. Award recipients include administrators of both community colleges and baccalaureate-granting institutions.
For more information about the 2017 Giving Back Award and INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine, visit insightintodiversity.com.