Balaji Panchapakesan, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
247 Belknap Research Building
Ph.D. in mechanical engineering, University of Maryland,
College Park, MD, 2001.
B.Sc. in materials science/engineering, National Inst. Technology, India, 1995.
Original appointment as associate professor - 2008.
Portion of time committed to teaching - 30 percent.
Portion of time committed to research and scholarly activities - 60 percent.
Portion of time committed to institutional and professional service - 10 percent.
8/01-5/08, University of Delaware, Newark, DE. Assistant professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
1/98-7/01, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD. Guest researcher.
8/95-7/01, University of Maryland, College Park, MD. Graduate research assistant, Department of Mechanical Engineering.
Liu, Y., Lu, S. and Panchapakesan, B., "Alignment Enhanced Photoconductivity in Carbon Nanotube Films," Nanotechnology, 20(3), 2009.
Shao, N., Wickstrom, E. and Panchapakesan, B., "Nanotube Antibody Biosensor Arrays for Detecting Circulating Cancer Cells," Nanotechnology, 19(46), 2008.
Lu, S. and Panchapakesan, B., "All Optical Micromirrors Based on Nanotube Actuators with Wavelength Selectivity", Journal of Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems, 16(6), 1515-1523, 2007.
Ahir, S., Lu, S., Panchapakesan, B. and Terentjev, E., "Thermal Fluctuations, Stress Relaxation, and Actuation in Carbon Nanotube Networks," Physical Review B, 76, 2007
Lu, S. and Panchapakesan, B., "Alignment Dependent Mechanical Responses of Carbon Nanotubes to Light," Applied Physics Letters, 91(10), 2007.
Shao, N., Lu, S. and Panchapakesan, B., "Integrated Molecular Targeting of IGF1R and Her2 Surface Receptors and Breast Cancer Therapy Using Carbon Nanotubes," Nanotechnology, 18(31), 2007 (featured cover article).
Lu, S. and Panchapakesan, B., "Photomechanical Responses of Nanotube-Polymer Actuators," Nanotechnology, 18(30), 2007.
Panchapakesan, B. and Wickstrom, E., "Nanotechnology For Sensing, Imaging And Treating Cancer," Journal of Surgical Oncology of North America, 16(2), 2007 293-305 (review article).
Lu, S., Sivakumar, K. and Panchapakesan, B., "Sonochemical Synthesis of Platinum Nanowires and Its Applications as Electro-Chemical Actuators," Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 7(7), 292-305, 2007.
Lu, S., Shao, N., Liu, Y. and Panchapakesan, B., "Nanotube Micro-Opto-Mechanical Systems," Nanotechnology, 18(6), 2007.
Teker, K. and Panchapakesan, B., "Biomolecular Tuning of Electron Transport Properties of Carbon Nanotubes Via Antibody Functionalization," IEEE Sensors Journal, 6(6), 1422-1428, 2006.
Lu, S. and Panchapakesan, B., "Nanotube Micro-Opto-Mechanical Actuators," Applied Physics Letters, 88(25), 2006.
Scientific and Professional Societies
- American Society for Mechanical Engineering
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Biomedical Engineering Society
Honors and Awards
- Young Scholar’s Award, Francis Alison Society, University of Delaware, 2006
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 2005
- University of Maryland, College Park, Alumni Award, 2005
- Appointed to the editorial board of Nanobiotechnology, published by Springer, 2004
- Graduate Student Award, Materials Research Society, Spring International Conference, San Francisco, CA 1999
Professional Development Activities
- Invited speaker, IUMRS, Sydney, Australia, 2008
- Invited speaker, NanoTX, 08, Dallas, TX, 2008
- Invited speaker, ACS Mid Atlantic Regional Meeting 2007 (MARM 2007), Small Wonder: Carbon Nanotubes, sponsored by the American Chemical Society
- Invited speaker, Nanotechnology for Cancer Therapeutics, Particles 2006, Orlando, FL