Benzinger named Fulbright Scholar
Carrie Benzinger has been named a Fulbright Scholar. A Bioengineering major at J.B. Speed School of Engineering, Carrie is a native of Fort Wright, KY.
"I will be conducting research at R.W.T.H. Aachen University in Aachen, Germany via the Fulbright Scholarship and the Whitaker Scholarship," Benzinger said. "I will conduct research on the treatment of right-side heart failure at Aachen University’s Helmholz Institute of Applied Medical Engineering. This will include developing and implementing concepts for the application and implantation of a minimally invasive right ventricular assist device."
Benzinger stated that the grant period begins with an orientation at the beginning of August followed by a German class until the start of the grant period which is September 21, 2012.
She earned her BS in Bioengineering in May 2011 and completed her Master of Engineering in BE in 2012.
Benzinger completed her cooperative education at Ethicon Endo-Surgery.
- What have you liked most about your Speed School experience so far?
- Gaining professional experience through the co-oping, and making new friends with my classmates in my Speed School classes over the past five years.
- What is the one thing you want prospective students to know?
- The University of Louisville’s Speed School provides many opportunities for gaining experience that contributes to students’ success, and students pursue these opportunities for their own personnel development.
- Best advice since entering Speed School?
- Take advantage of the experience and connections that your professors have to offer. They are there to help you and want to see you succeed as both ad student and a professional.
Three reasons to choose Speed School:
- Provides an education that prepares you for a career in the engineering discipline.
- Speed School provides opportunities for real world experience through the co-op program.
- Students are able to get a Master’s degree in 5 years
Honors and Awards:
- Fulbright Scholarship
- Whitaker Scholarship
- Alfred T. Chen Memorial Scholarship Award
- Rolando “Chip” Chen Jr. Memorial Scholarship
- Mickey R. Wilhelm Achievement Award