Katie Gardner named to Kentucky Derby Festival Royal Court
Senior Katherine (Katie) Gardner has been selected as a member of the 2013 Kentucky Derby Festival Royal Court. A double major in Industrial Engineering and Mechanical Engineering at J.B. Speed School of Engineering, Katie is from Greenville, KY.
She will graduate in May 2013.
- Favorite personality trait:
- Love for learning and achieving
- Favorite food:
- Favorite band\type of music:
- What is your favorite class?
- Manufacturing classes – Manufacturing processes in IE and Machine design in ME.
- What have you liked most about your Speed School experience so far?
- I enjoy that Speed School is a challenge, and it have taught me the skills to have a profession that contributes to the betterment of our world. Speed School is designed so that the programs can be flexible as needed. I have been able to complete and engineering degree in a reasonable amount of time while also enjoying all aspects of the college experience.
- What is the one thing you want prospective students to know?
- Prospective students should know that their college experience is their own, and they should make the most of it! Choosing engineering doesn’t mean giving up the opportunity to have fun in college or be involved in other activities.
- Best advice since entering Speed School?
- Since entering Speed School, the best advice I received was to find the balance between studying, being involved, resting, and having fun. This is definitely great advice for incoming students.
- Three reasons to choose Speed School:
- Speed School has great faculty that will work with you to make the most of your education.
- Speed School’s co-op program is an opportunity to explore your field and take a break from classes!
- Speed School has great programs and is the only college of engineering with dual accreditation from ABET.
- Why did you chose to run for one of the Derby 2013 Festival Princesses?
- I applied to be a Derby Princess because I love the University, Louisville, and Kentucky, and I wanted to have this opportunity to serve as a representative to people that visit our area during the Kentucky Derby Festival. Serving as a member of the KDF Royal Court will be an amazing culminating experience as a college student, a true once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
- What was your reaction to being crowned one of the Derby 2013 Festival Princesses?
- I was completely overjoyed to receive the call that I had been selected. I immediately felt a lot of gratitude for all of the people that have helped me to become successful so far who allowed me to achieve this accomplishment.
- What are your responsibilities as one of the Derby 2013 Festival Princesses?
- As a KDF Princess, I will attend every official Kentucky Derby Festival event as an ambassador of the state of Kentucky and the city of Louisville. We will meet and greet people at each of the events, we will perform community service together, and we will visit local schools to talk about the important of service and volunteerism.