The Engineering Fundamentals Department is comprised of faculty and staff who teach introductory engineering courses, advise entering freshmen, and coordinate outreach programs that promote engineering as a profession to elementary, middle, and high school students. The department focuses on a positive and supportive environment in which students are helped to succeed in their studies and to select a major discipline. Departmental faculty strive to achieve excellence in teaching courses that introduce students to the engineering profession and provide them with fundamental engineering skills through a common set of core courses that begin in their freshman year. Departmental staff seek to provide courteous, timely, and effective academic advising and to promote awareness of the importance of the engineering profession and the satisfying challenges of an engineering career.
- Maintain an environment that attracts and retains qualified and interested engineering students.
- Maintain high academic standards and uniformity in the quality of courses offered in all semesters.
- Develop sound pedagogical methods using the latest technologies applied to engineering fundamentals education.
- Provide courteous, timely, and effective academic advising.
- Identify and provide appropriate referrals for students who need counseling for personal matters.
- Coordinate programs to implement the university’s STEM initiative and introduce elementary, middle, and high school students to Speed School.