Financial Support

In graduate engineering education, there are three typical means of financial support. In all cases, the support provides a stipend, tuition, and healthcare. The modes of support are:

  • Teaching Assistantships (TA): In addition to their graduate research and coursework, a TA is obliged to serve as an undergraduate course grader or lab supervisor. TA-ships are given directly by the department; contact Dr. Naber (E.E. Director of Graduate Studies) if you have questions.
  • Research Assistantships (RA): Students are supported directly by their M.S./Ph.D. advisor through an external grant. The RA is expected to conduct research (that also forms the basis for the thesis) to satisfy the terms of the grant. Because support is given directly by the thesis advisor, interested parties should contact the prospective advisor directly.
  • Fellowships: Students must apply through an external organization that offers such fellowships, e.g., NSF, DOE, NASA, etc. These are extremely competitive (GPA > 3.7) but also quite prestigious. This funding allows the student to pursue their graduate research, independent of funding from their advisor or the department. We strongly encourage our students to apply!