Dr. Zhihui Sun
OFFICE: WS 112
Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Northwestern University, IL, USA, 2005
M.E., Civil Engineering, National University of Singapore, Singapore, 2001
B.E., Structural Engineering, Tongji University, Shanghai, China, 1999
Associate Professor, 2011 - present
Assistant Professor, 2005-2011
Civil and Environmental Engineering Department, University of Louisville
Quantity Surveyor, Apr, 2001-July, 2001
WOH HUP Pte. Ltd., Singapore
American Concrete Institute (ACI)
American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE)
Portland Cement Association (PCA)
PCA Education Foundation Fellowship, Portland Cement Association, 2007
ASCE Fellowship for Exceed teaching workshop, 2006
Advanced Testing of Cement Based Materials during Setting and Hardening
Chapter 7 Simulation and Modeling (by Guang Ye, Zhihui Sun, Thomas Voigt, Eddy Koenders, Surendra P. Shah, Klaas van Breugel) pp. 311-335, ISBN: 2-912143-81-0
Refereed Journal Publications
2. Venkiteela, G. and Sun, Z. (2010). In-situ observation of cement particle growth during setting. Cement and Concrete Composites, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 211-218.
3. Venkiteela, G., Gregori, A., Sun, Z. and Shah, S.P. (2010). ANN modeling of the early-age Young’s modulus of normal concrete, ACI Materials Journal, Vol. 107, May/June, pp. 282-290.
4. Venkiteela, G, Sun, Z. and Shah, S.P. (2010). Real observation of cement paste’s microstructural evolution. Transportation Research Record, Vol. 2141, pp. 75-81.
5. Venkiteela, G. and Sun, Z. (2010). Microstructural observation of cement particle growth and connectivity in cement pastes, Journal of Chinese Ceramic Society, Vol. 38, No. 9, pp. 16-20.
6. Kim, J.H., Shah, S.P., Sun, Z. and Kwak, H.G. (2009). Properties of early-age concrete monitored with two nondestructive testing methods, ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, Vol. 21, No. 9, pp. 476-483.
7. Shah, S.P., Mondal, P., Ferron, R.P., Tregger, N., and Sun, Z. (2008). News on Nanotechnology, Public Roads, Vol. 72, No. 3, November/December, pp. 42-48.
8. Gregori, A., Ferron, R., Sun, Z. and Shah, S.P. (2008). Experimental simulation of SCC formwork pressure, ACI Materials Journal, Vol. 105, No. 1, pp. 97-104
9. Shah, S.P., Mondal, P., Ferron, R. P., Tregger, N. and Sun, Z. (2008). Next horizon in high performance concrete: self-consolidating concrete and nanotechnology, the Indian Concrete Journal, Vol. 82, No. 1, pp. 9-21.
10. Sun, Z., Garboczi, E.J. and Shah, S.P. (2007). Modeling the elastic properties of concrete composites: experiment, differential effective medium theory, and numerical simulation, Cement and Concrete Composites, Vol. 29, 2007, No. 1, pp. 22-38.
11. Sun, Z., Gregori, A., Ferron R. and Shah, S.P. (2007). Developing a falling-ball viscometer for highly flowable cement-based materials, ACI Materials Journal, Vol. 104, No. 2, pp. 180-186.
12. Ferron, R., Gregori, A., Sun, Z. and Shah, S.P. (2007). Rheological method to evaluate the thixotropy of cement pastes for SCC, ACI Materials Journal, Vol. 104, No. 3, pp. 242-250.
13. Voigt, T., Sun, Z., and Shah, S.P. (2006). Comparison of the ultrasonic wave reflection method and maturity method in evaluating the compressive strength, Cement and Concrete Composites, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 307-316.
14. Sun, Z., Voigt, T. and Shah, S.P. (2006). Rheometric and ultrasonic investigations of viscoelastic properties of fresh Portland cement pastes, Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 36, No. 2, pp. 278-287.
15. Sun, Z., Voigt, T. and Shah, S.P. (2005). Temperature effects on the strength evaluation of cement-based materials with an ultrasonic wave reflection technique, ACI Materials Journal, Vol. 102, No. 4, pp. 272-278.
16. Sun, Z., Ye, G. and Shah, S.P. (2005). Microstructure and early age properties of Portland cement pastes—effects of the connectivity of the solid phases, ACI Material Journal, Vol. 102, No. 2, pp. 122-129.
17. Voigt, T., Ye, G., Sun, Z., Shah, S.P. and van Breugel, K. (2005). Early age microstructure of Portland cement mortar investigated by ultrasonic shear waves and numerical simulation, Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 35, No. 5, pp. 858-866.
18. Voigt, T., Grosse, C.U., Sun, Z., Shah, S.P. and Reinhardt, H.W. (2005). Comparison of ultrasonic wave transmission and reflection measurements with P- and S-waves on early age mortar and concrete, Materials & Structures, Vol. 38, No. 282, pp. 729-738.
19. Haecker, C.J., Garboczi, E.J., Bullard, J.W., Bohn, R.B., Sun, Z., Shah, S.P. and Voigt, T. (2005). Modeling the linear elastic properties of Portland cement pastes, Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 35, No. 10, pp. 1948-1960.