Grad FAQ's


FAQ 1. What is the difference between a 'Thesis' and a 'Non-Thesis' option?

Ans. Both options require the same number of total credits to earn a degree. Basically, the thesis option requires more research, while the non-thesis option requires more classes. However, ALL master’s students must conduct some sort of research or project to fulfill the requirements of this degree.


More Info on Thesis Option*

More Info on Non-thesis Option*


FAQ 2. How do I apply to the M.Eng. program?

Students interested in pursuing the Master of Engineering degree must formally apply for admission to Graduate Studies in the School of Engineering.  Formal applications are submitted and processed through the Speed School Academic Affairs office. Applications should be submitted prior to completion of undergraduate engineering studies, typically not earlier than one semester before completion of baccalaureate requirements. Before applying to the M.Eng. program, review the admissions standards for acceptance to Graduate Studies in the School of Engineering (

To apply: Go to the following link: .In the left column, select Forms.On the Forms page, scroll down to the Office of Student Services section and click on the following links for application instructions and the application form: MEng Graduate Studies Application Instructions (PDF)

MEng Graduate Studies Application Form (PDF)  (Follow the instructions for completing and submitting your application.)

FAQ 3. I applied for the M.Eng. program.  How long will it take to receive a response to my application?

Since there are several steps involved in the process, it may take several weeks before you receive a notification of your acceptance status. Keep in mind that your application will not be considered complete, and therefore won’t be reviewed until all required documents/credentials have been submitted.

You will be notified of acceptance status via email. If you would like to check on the status of your application at any time during the process, please feel free to contact Nancy Hansford in the Bioengineering Department at 852-7485 or for a current status update on your application.