Language Requirement

Completing the Language Requirement

All B.A. degrees and some B.S degrees in the College of Arts and Sciences require completion of the intermediate level of a foreign language (defined by the College of Arts & Sciences as Spanish 123 or 142) or the higher language course into which the student is placed. Check with your departmental advisor to see what is required in your program.


Students who have had 2 or more years of high school Spanish or an equivalent experience in the target language are required to take the Placement Exam in order to be placed into the most appropriate Spanish course.


Students who have had less than two years of Spanish should begin their study in Basic or Intensive Spanish (Spanish 121 or Spanish 141).