Hiring Foreign Nationals and Hosting International Scholars

The University of Louisville is required by federal regulations to monitor assignments to its facilities of foreign nationals to ensure that the disclosure of, and access to, export controlled articles and related information are limited to those approved by an export authorization. In accordance with part 6 of the I-129 visa petition UofL must certify whether or not an H-1B/H-1B1/L-1/O-1A applicant requires an export license.  This certification is not required for student (F-1) or Visiting Scholar (J-1) visa petitions.

Process for Hiring a Foreign National

  • Visit the International Student and Scholar Services website and review the process for the non-immigrant visa class of your potential hire.  These websites will contain information about how to initiate the visa process. 
    • For non-immigrant workers, including individuals in H-1B and O-1 status, University Counsel will request sponsoring faculty members, grant managers, or administrators to complete the I-129 Export Compliance Questionnaire and Certification.  
    • The Export Control Program (ECP) will review the information and determine whether an export license is required in order for UofL to employ / host the beneficiary.  Once the determination is made, University Counsel will submit a Form I-129 to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service.
    • Please note: Although the I-129 compliance certification is not required for student (F-1) or Visiting Scholar (J-1) visa petitions, the export control regulations remain applicable to the activities of these two groups while at the University of Louisville.  

Process for Hosting a Foreign National

  • The ECP will screen foreign visitors to UofL for export and sanction regulation compliance and affiliation with restricted parties or embargoed organizations. 
  • If an export authorization is required from the United States Government for your international visitor, ECP will prepare license requests and submit them on behalf of the university.  Filing for export licenses takes time (45-90 days after license application) for approval from the government after filing.  Failure to obtain the appropriate license or other government approval, or failure to file correct export information on the visa petition may result in civil and criminal penalties.  It is necessary to permit adequate time for the review and licensing process, if applicable.

Additional information on hosting international visitors can be found here.