International Shipping

When shipping of commodities, software and proprietary technology outside of the United States, the university may be required to obtain an export license from the Commerce Department or State Department.  Failure to obtain the appropriate license or other government approval, or failure to file correct export documentation or shipping documents can result in severe fines and other penalties. The Office of Export and Secure Research Compliance (OESRC) can help you be certain your export is in compliance with export and sanction laws.

Shipping tangible items outside of the United States may require an export license.

We can assist you in preparing your shipping documents and provide the following shipping related services:

  • Commodity jurisdiction and classifications
  • Export license preparation and submission
  • Electronic Export Information (EEI) preparation and submission
  • Obtain ECCN, Schedule B and HTCS number

However, we not a shipping department and we do not:

  • Arrange for your freight forwarder to pay the freight to ship the items; for these matters, coordinate through your department contact
  • Advise on or determine customs duties, tariffs, or international tax issues; for these matters, contact your freight forwarder
  • Advise on import documentation matters
  • Resolve international customs shipment issues not related to export compliance (e.g., shipment impounded not for export reasons)
  • Execute customs power of attorney; contact University Counsel.

United States Government Organizations responsible for shipping-related regulations

U.S. Department of State
The university is not registered with the U.S. Department of State Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC).  If your work requires registration with DDTC, we can prepare requests for University registration and licenses.

U.S. Department of Commerce
The university is registered, through this office, with the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Simplified Network Application Process Redesign (SNAP-R) online exporter web application. This office can assist you in the preparation and filing of any export licenses or commodity classification requests that need to be obtained from the U.S. Department of Commerce.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection
The university is registered, through this office, with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Automated Export System (AES). As a registered AES shipper, this office can prepare and submit your export and shipping documentation to Customs for shipments regulated by either the Commerce Department or State Department.

Customs, Exports and Electronic Export Information (EEI) Forms
An electronic AES filing of an Electronic Export Information (EEI) is required by U.S. Customs and Border Protection for all shipments headed outside the U.S., except to Canada, that exceeds $2,500 in value per Schedule B number.  An EEI is required for most exports of merchandise valued at more than $2,500 from the United States.  The AES filing is also required for all exports under the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) or State Department export license or license exception/exemption regardless of the value unless the export is temporary and hand carried or exported in your personal baggage under a "tools of trade" license exception.