Inclusive Excellence (IE3) Competition
- Sponsor: Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Internal Deadline: May 31, 2019 by 5 p.m. - (Closed)
- Sponsor Deadline: July 31, 2019 (LOI); January 14, 2020 (Pre-Proposal); December 1, 2020 (Final Proposal - Invite Only)
- Link: https://www.hhmi.org/developing-scientists/inclusive-excellence#Overview
Brief Synopsis from Sponsor: The Howard Hughes Medical Institute announces a new competition in the Inclusive Excellence (IE) initiative for institutional transformation grants in science education. The objective of the HHMI IE initiative is to challenge U.S. colleges and universities to substantially and sustainably increase their capacity for inclusion of all students, especially those students who belong to groups underrepresented in science.
Please read the full solicitation (linked above) before submitting your proposal.
Anticipated Funding Amount: In the IE3 competition, HHMI expects to award grants to up to 30 schools. Each grant will provide $1 million over five years and will not be renewable.
Be aware: Only one intent to apply per eligible institution is allowed. UofL will decide which proposal to submit via an internal application process determined by peer review.
Anyone interested in submitting for this program must first submit an internal application to firstname.lastname@example.org, with copy to the applicable research dean and email@example.com, by 5 p.m. on May 31, 2019, including the following materials:
- A summary of the proposal and track you want to pursue (maximum two pages);
- A paragraph describing why your project would be the most competitive candidate for this program;
- Your current curriculum vitae;
- A cover page that contains:
- The name of this funding opportunity and title of your proposal;
- Your name, position, and UofL office contact information;
- Collaborator names, positions, and institutions (if applicable).
Reviewers will judge proposals as they would in any peer review process, so PIs are urged to put forward competitive internal proposals. Along with typical criteria, reviewers will evaluate internal proposals based on their fit with the sponsor’s articulated goals and criteria as well as the UofL strategic goals.
The above internal application materials should be submitted via email as a single .PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org by the internal deadline listed above.
If you have any questions, please contact Will Metcalf.