Established Program To Stimulate Competitive Research (DOE EPSCOR) Implementation Grants
- Sponsor: DOE
- Internal Deadline: November 20, 2020 - (Closed)
- Sponsor Deadline: December 15, 2020 (Pre-Application); March 2, 2021 (Full Proposal)
- Grand Challenge(s): 3 - Engineering Our Future Economy
- Link: https://science.osti.gov/-/media/grants/pdf/foas/2021/SC_FOA_0002431.pdf
Brief Synopsis from Sponsor: The DOE Established Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (DOE EPSCoR) hereby announces its interest in receiving new and renewal applications from eligible jurisdictions for Implementation Grants. Grants awarded under this program are intended to improve research capability through the support of a group of scientists and engineers, including graduate students and post-doctoral fellows, working on a common scientific theme in one or more EPSCoR jurisdictions. These awards are not appropriate mechanisms to provide support for individual faculty science and technology research projects.
The objectives of the DOE EPSCoR Implementation Grants are to:
- Jumpstart capability development in the jurisdiction(s) through increased human and technical resources.
- Support a group of researchers working on a common scientific theme, with mutually supporting goals and objectives.
- When topically relevant to the subject matter of the application, promote collaborations with other institutions of higher education and industry with strong participation by students, postdoctoral fellows, and junior faculty from EPSCoR eligible institutions. These collaborations may include institutions from other EPSCoR jurisdictions. Collaborations involving more than one institution or more than one EPSCoR jurisdiction, while welcome, are not a requirement.
Please read full opportunity linked above before submitting your application.
Sponsor Funding: The award ceiling is $1,500,000 per year for new awards and $2,500,000 per year for renewal awards. Annual budgets for awards and the total award size may, for good cause, vary above or below the above limits.
Be aware: Applicant institutions are limited to no more than one pre-application or application for new awards or no more than one pre-application or application for renewal awards. Applicant institutions may not submit applications for both new and renewal awards. UofL will decide which to submit via an internal application process determined by peer review.
Anyone interested in submitting for this program must first submit an internal application to firstname.lastname@example.org, with copy to the applicable research dean, by 5 p.m. on the date listed above. Your application must include the exact elements in the same format as listed in the RFP. They are outlined in bullet points 1-3. (See pages 11-13.)
Reviewers will judge proposals as they would in any peer review process, so PIs are urged to put forward competitive internal proposals. Along with typical criteria, reviewers will evaluate internal proposals based on their fit with the sponsor’s articulated goals and criteria as well as the UofL strategic goals.
The above internal application materials should be submitted via email as a single .PDF file to email@example.com by the internal deadline listed above.
If you have any questions, please
Email: Will Metcalf
Research Development & Strategic Initiatives
Office of the EVP – Research & Innovation
2301 South 3rd Street, Jouett Hall | Louisville, KY 40292
(Office) 502-852-1708 | (Cell) 502-777-3784