Registering on CITI for the first time:
- Go to CITI website: www.citiprogram.org
- From the home screen, click on Register under “Create an Account”
- Select Your Institution or Organization: Enter University of Louisville in the search bar. Click Continue.
- Personal Information: Enter your first and last name, as recorded with the university. Under email use your U of L email (firstname.lastname@example.org) as the email address. You can add another preferred address to the Secondary email address field, if you like. If you do not use your primary U of L email address (not your PEA) in the first email field, your training results could be delayed in posting to iRIS. Please note: the email addresses entered here are the ones that any future password requests will be sent to; you are encouraged to use addresses that are stable and make sure to enter them without any typos. Click Continue.
- Create Your Username and Password: Follow the instructions on the page regarding size and criteria. The username and password can be anything of your choosing that is accepted by the system. Click Continue.
- Enter your country of residence. Click Continue.
- Are you interested in the option of receiving Continuing Education Unit (CEU) credit for completed CITI Program courses?: You can sign up for these if you choose. Please note: any fees associated with CME/CEU credits are paid by the individual, not the institution. Can CITI Program contact you at a later date regarding participation in research surveys? Answer yes or no based upon personal preference. Click Continue.
- Information requested by U of L: Complete the demographic information. Fields that are marked by an asterisk are required by the system. If you have a University of Louisville ID (Employee or Student), please enter it in the Employee Number field. Click Continue.
- Select Curriculum: The next set of screens will guide you through selecting the correct course(s).
- Click "I know what I need to take, just show me the full menu of courses" *For the IRB Required Training Course see table below.
- For the IRB Required Training Course only click Human Subjects and HIPAA Research. Click Next.
- There are two options for individuals that are Clinical Research Coordinators or IRB members to take additional courses. If this does not apply to you click Not at this time. Click Next.
- Click on the course name to begin the training. Modules are presented in a linear fashion. Proceed through the modules listed on the gradebook. After agreeing to the assurance statement; Click on the name of the Module to start each module.
- Upon completion of all required modules and achieving 80% overall correct, a link will appear on the Grade Book page with your Completion Report. Print this report for your records. The Research Integrity Program will be automatically notified of your successful completion and the data will be transferred to the master database for access by the University reporting software. Data updates are loaded each morning. If you need the database updated sooner, please call 502-852-2454.
Human Subjects Training (IRB Requirement)*
- Human Subjects and HIPAA Research
- If you are a VA researcher and haven taken the VA human subjects training, you must complete the HIPAA Privacy -VA Researchers - Basic Course. Completion of the course is required if you will submit any projects for IRB review.
Additional Training Courses
- Responsible Conduct of Research (all disciplines now in one course)
- Institutional Compliance Awareness
- HIPAA (non-research aspects)
- Export Controls
- IACUC: OSHA Renewal
- Good Clinical Practice (GCP)