procedure modified Tue Jul 05 2022 11:52:13 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
University of Louisville
May 1, 1992
This policy applies to University Administrators and Staff.
The University of Louisville provides paid annual leave to eligible employees.
- Classified full-time employees accrue 10 annual leave days during the first year of employment and one additional day per year thereafter -- to a maximum of 22 days.
- Professional/administrative full-time employees accrue 15 annual leave days during the first year of employment and one additional day per year thereafter -- to a maximum of 22 days.
- Administrators are granted one-month’s annual leave. For the purpose of this policy, one month is equivalent to 22 working days per year. Annual leave may be accrued, but may not exceed 44 days without an exception from the President or his/her designee.
- Staff members' annual leave accrues proportionally for employees employed on any other fixed part-time basis of at least 40 percent of the normal working hours of the unit in which he or she is employed. Employees working at least 40 percent on May 1, 1992, will continue to accrue annual leave on a proportional basis as long as they remain on at least a 40 percent FTE.
- Staff members will accrue annual leave based on the percentage of time in pay status for each pay period.
- Staff members' annual leave accrues on a pay-period basis and shall be credited to the employee's leave balance on the first day of the following pay period or, in the case of separation, on the last day of active employment.
- Staff members’ annual leave may be accumulated up to three times the amount which the employee is currently eligible to accrue during a 12-month period; provided, however, that the maximum leave balance shall be two times the amount which the employee is currently eligible to accrue upon (1) carry forward from January 1 to December 31 each year, (2) transfer from one department to another department (unless the hiring department accepts the transfer of additional leave), and (3) payment upon separation from employment.
- Regular (classified and professional/administrative) staff members must submit a request to use annual leave in writing to their supervisor and/or unit head in advance of the leave time requested. The request should indicate the times and dates when the leave begins and the return from leave. The Request for Leave Form is an available option.
- The supervisor and/or unit head may authorize annual leave at times convenient to the efficient operation of the department as determined by the department head.
- Annual leave shall not be authorized for use prior to the time it is earned and credited to the employee.
- All annual leave must be used prior to beginning a leave of absence without pay.
- Whenever an employee moves from one unit to another without a break in continuous service, unused annual leave shall be transferred to the new unit for future use, subject to the transfer provisions of Paragraph G.
- Staff members with at least six months of continuous and creditable service who separate from employment for any reason shall be paid for unused annual leave in the earliest pay period possible after separation at the employee's current pay rate, subject to the limitations of Paragraph G. Administrators who separate from employment for any reason shall be paid for unused annual leave in the earliest pay period possible after separation at the employee's current pay rate, not to exceed 44 days.
- Upon separation, annual leave will not accrue following the last day worked.
Vice President for Human Resources
RESPONSIBLE UNIVERSITY DEPARTMENT/DIVISION
1980 Arthur Street
July 14, 2017 addition regarding administrators is consistent with the 1972 Board of Trustee action regarding administrator leave, as stated in the most recent presidential guidance letters dated January 19, 1995 and August 6, 1998.
1/30/2020 – minor revision to reflect policy change approved and implemented in university processes on January 1, 2019.
Revision Date(s): December 2, 2010; July 14, 2017 (effective November 30, 2017); January 30, 2020; December 11, 2020; October 19, 2021 (minor revisions); December 1, 2021 (minor edits to email)
Reviewed Date(s): March 8, 2016, July 14, 2017
The University Policy and Procedure Library is updated regularly. In order to ensure a printed copy of this document is current, please access it online at http://louisville.edu/policies.