English as a Second Language (ESL) Endorsement (P-12)
Building English Language Skills from the Ground Up
In Kentucky alone, the P-12 student population speaks more than 94 different languages, according to the Kentucky Department of Education. The steady increase in the number of school-age students with varying linguistic and cultural backgrounds across public school systems has led to a growing need for teachers with specialized training who are qualified to teach English as a second language (ESL).
The English as a Second Language (ESL) Endorsement at the University of Louisville provides teachers with a valuable opportunity to acquire the expertise and credentials to meet the specific needs of English learners. Candidates in our ESL program learn about language, sociolinguistics, cross-cultural competency, cultural diversity, language acquisition and the importance of making connections between linguistic theory and classroom practice.
- 12 credit hours (4 courses) are delivered 100% online, asynchronous (anytime, anywhere)
- Online students retain the flexibility of attending courses on-campus
- Online courses are offered every semester
- Endorsement can attach to an existing Kentucky teaching certification
- Endorsement may be completed as part of the Master of Education in Teacher Leadership degree, Rank I coursework, or as a stand-alone (non-degree) graduate program
- The required Field Experience consists of 30 hours of documented observation with a Kentucky certified ESL endorsed teacher.
- Passing the ESOL Praxis test is required for those wishing to attach the ESL endorsement onto their Kentucky teaching certification.
- Students in our program consistently score a pass rate of over 90% on the ESOL Praxis exam
While the ESL program is designed for Kentucky certified teachers seeking a Kentucky ESL endorsement, other professionals may choose to pursue it, including seminarians, teachers in other states, and those wishing to provide private tutoring services. Students who are interested in teaching English abroad may also take these four ESL Endorsement courses, as they are excellent preparation for teaching non-native speakers of English in settings other than public school classrooms in the United States.
Requirements for Kentucky-certified teachers only: In order to add the P-12 English as a Second Language Endorsement to your teaching license, you must also take the ESOL Praxis test and receive a passing score. To select the correct Praxis test for Kentucky, access the Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board (EPSB) Praxis Test website: http://www.ets.org/praxis/ky/requirements.
Teachers in other states must check the certification and state authorization requirements for an ESL Endorsement in their respective state. To view Praxis Test requirements for other states, please visit: http://www.ets.org/praxis. For program availability and state authorization regulations in your state visit http://uofl.me/sarstates.