- Develop and demonstrate your knowledge in core areas of the healthcare operations and information technology industry.
- Take advantage of the flexibility and convenience of 100% online classes, delivered over an 8-week, asynchronous course format.
- Skip the GRE—it’s not required for admission into the certificate program.
- Take 1 course at a time and complete your certificate in less than 1 year.
- Apply your certificate credits toward UofL’s online Master of Science in Industrial Engineering or Master of Engineering in Engineering Management degree (upon approval; must apply to the master’s program separately).
START YOUR APPLICATION
Students enrolled in the online certificate in healthcare systems engineering do not qualify for financial aid. Tuition rate does not include costs associated with a specific course or program, such as textbooks.
100% ONLINE COURSEWORK
Complete your degree on your own time through fully online and accelerated classes.
9 CREDIT HOURS
Expand your healthcare delivery systems expertise in just 3 courses.
LESS THAN 1 YEAR
Complete the certificate program in less than 1 year.
“The Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Systems Engineering not only allows current students to receive a focused area of study in healthcare, but also allows healthcare professionals to acquire industrial engineering and human factors engineering skills with the potential to expand their career paths.”
Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Systems Engineering
A Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Systems Engineering can provide you with a unique skill set that is highly valued in the healthcare industry. Graduates are well suited to apply their credentials toward the following roles and careers:
- Healthcare Systems Engineer
- Healthcare Systems Manager
- Nursing Home Administrators
- Clinical Managers
- Health Information Managers
- Hospital Process Engineer
- Medical Systems Manager
- Health Services Engineering Manager
- Safety Officers
- Human Factors Engineer
- Healthcare Process Improvement Specialist
- Healthcare Operations Analyst
- Healthcare Quality Improvement Coordinator
- Healthcare Project Manager
- Healthcare Informatics Specialist
- Healthcare Facility Planner
- Healthcare Risk Manager
- Healthcare IT Manager
- Healthcare Systems Integration Specialist
- Healthcare Workflow Analyst
- Healthcare Performance Improvement Coordinator
||Fall Term I
||Fall Term II
||Spring Term II
Note: We admit students on a rolling basis. The preferred deadlines help you complete the application process on time, be notified of acceptance, and enroll before the term begins. We review applications as they become complete and admit students for a specific term up to the day classes start. We recommend you work on and submit your complete application well in advance of the preferred deadline, as obtaining transcripts and other materials may take more time.
Steps to Apply
- Complete the graduate application
- Submit a $40 non-refundable application fee
- Submit official transcripts certifying an undergraduate degree earned from an accredited institution
- Check for Scholarships
START YOUR APPLICATION
- Bachelor’s degree in any field from an accredited college or university.
- The successful applicant will typically have an undergraduate degree with a GPA of 2.75 or above (on a 4.00 scale).*
- Successful completion of a probability and statistics course. Students who do not have the expected background may be required to take a refresher course.
- Successful completion of Calculus 1. Students who do not have the expected background may be required to take a refresher course.
GMAT/GRE scores are not required for admission.
* Students will need a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale to graduate with the certificate.
Students lacking prerequisite courses may choose to take them at UofL or another institution before they are officially admitted to the program. Upon acceptance to the program, students will work closely with their advisor to build out a path that prepares them to be successful in the program.
Send all materials to:
University of Louisville
2211 S. Brook Street
Louisville, KY 40292
If you live outside of the United States and intend to complete an online academic program from your home country, be sure to review these additional requirements for international students.
- Postsecondary transcripts. Transcripts from institutions not in English will require a foreign credential evaluation.
- Students whose primary language is not English must show English language proficiency by attaining one of the following:
- TOEFL score at or above 550 (paper based test and a 5.0 on the TWE test), 213 (computer based test), 79 (internet based test), OR
- Submitting an IELTS test score of 6.5 or higher, OR
- Duolingo English test score of 105 or higher
- English translation of transcripts and degree, as formally documented by an appropriate institutional official.
The online Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Systems Engineering is a 9-credit hour program, with each course delivered in an 8-week course format, 100% online. Students will need a minimum of a 3.0 GPA to be awarded the certificate.
Depending on your education and/or work background, some courses may have prerequisites that must be met prior to enrollment. We recommend working with your academic advisors to map out your degree path and ensure that courses can be completed in the timeframe that is right for you.
IE 662 Predictive Analytics for Decision Making
IE 682 Quality of Care and Patient Safety
IE 684 Health IT and Clinical Support
|TOTAL CREDIT HOURS
START YOUR APPLICATION
What bachelor’s degrees are acceptable for admission into the graduate certificate in healthcare systems engineering program?
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in any field is acceptable for admission into the graduate certificate program. However, due to this certificate consisting of a heavily focused curriculum in statistics, some students may need to take prerequisite courses to meet enrollment requirements, depending on previous education and/or work background. Students lacking prerequisite courses may choose to take them at UofL or another institution before they are officially admitted to the program. Upon acceptance to the program, students will work closely with their advisor to build out a path that prepares them to be successful in the program.
Are GRE scores required for admission?
No, GRE or GMAT scores are not required for admission into the online graduate certificate in healthcare systems engineering program.
Is there a specific GPA requirement for admission into the program?
The successful applicant will typically have an undergraduate degree with a GPA of 2.75 or above (on a 4.00 scale). Students will need a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale to graduate with the certificate.
How quickly can I complete the online certificate in healthcare systems engineering?
The certificate is offered in a 3-course (9-credit hour) format and includes coursework in quality of care and patient safety, health IT and clinician support, and predictive analytics for decision making. Students can complete the graduate certificate in less than 1 year. Classes are taught in the fall and spring, during 8-week terms.
What can I do with a graduate certificate in healthcare systems engineering?
Graduates of the certificate program will be prepared to move into engineering, safety evaluation, and operational leadership roles within the healthcare system to help improve procedures, develop new processes, and provide invaluable insight into the healthcare ecosystem. Upon completion of the certificate, graduates can find employment in careers like Healthcare Systems Engineer, Healthcare Systems Manager, Nursing Home Administrators, Clinical Managers, Health Information Managers, Hospital Process Engineer, Medical Systems Manager, Health Services Engineering Manager, Safety Officers and many more!