Freshman Orientation (Spring)
We can't wait to welcome you to the Cardinal Family in Spring 2024!
Orientation for spring 2024 first-time freshmen is two parts:
- Pre-Orientation Module: This online module is designed to equip students with important information needed before attending New Cards Orientation. It is self-paced and takes up to an hour to complete. Students must complete the Pre-Orientation Module in order to schedule an Academic Advising Appointment.
- New Cards Orientation Session: All incoming freshmen for Spring 2024 must register for and attend an on-campus New Cards Orientation session on Friday, January 5, 2024. This session is the Friday before classes begin and will include presentations from campus services, an informational resource fair, a campus tour, and more. Lunch is provided.
1) Register for New Cards Orientation
- Log in to your New Cards Gateway
- The link to register for your Orientation session will become available on your Gateway about an hour after your enrollment deposit is submitted.
- Complete the registration form and pay your $40 orientation fee to submit registration.
- You may register to bring up to 2 guests to your orientation session. There is a $15 fee per registered guest.
2) Complete your Pre-Orientation Module
- Use Google Chrome as your browser
- Log in to your New Cards Gateway
- Click on the "Spring 2024 Pre-Orientation Module" link in the New Cards Gateway checklist section.
- On the Microsoft sign in screen, enter your UofL email address in the userID@louisville.edu format. Click Next.
- On the enter password screen, enter your ULink password. Click Next.
- If you were NOT able to log in, you likely entered your userID@louisville.edu. email address incorrectly, or your university accounts have not been activated. Activation instructions.
- How to use University technology
- Academic program overview
- Financial Aid information
- Information on parking, dining, and obtaining your Cardinal Card
- Preparation for Academic Advising (using CardSmart) and setting up your enrollment shopping cart)
Students may register for an academic advising appointment upon completion of the Pre-Orientation Module
3) Schedule an Appointment with your Academic Advisor
After completing your Pre-Orientation Module, you will schedule an appointment with your academic advisor through CardSmart. Complete instructions for logging into CardSmart and scheduling your appointment can be found in the Pre-Orientation Module. Note: it may take 1-2 business days after completing the Pre-Orientation Module for CardSmart access to be granted.
4) Enroll in Classes
After completing the Pre-Orientation Module and attending your Academic Advising appointment, you will be ready to enroll in classes on ULink. Please note that you will be required to complete pre-registration questions before gaining access to enrollment. These questions can be found in the "Tasks" tile in ULink.
5) Attend New Cards Orientation
At your on-campus orientation session, you will have the opportunity to expand on the information you learned in your Pre-Orientation Module and become acclimated to campus before the Spring semester starts. We can't wait to welcome you to the Cardinal Family at New Cards Orientation on Friday, January 5, 2024!
Activating University Accounts: You will need to activate your University accounts in order to log in to your Pre-Orientation Module, attend your academic advising appointment, and enroll in classes. If you have not yet activated your accounts, click here for activation instructions. If you have already activated, but do not remember your login information or password and need assistance in resetting, click here for information from the UofL IT Help Desk.
Questions? The Orientation Programs office is here to help! Email us (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call 502.852.7276. We are looking forward to welcoming you to the Cardinal Family!