New Music Festival Nov 5-10, 2023
The School of Music at the University of Louisville is widely recognized for its commitment to the presentation of contemporary music. In keeping with this commitment, we are proud to present our Fall 2022 New Music Festival, Nov. 5-10. Premiered in 1998, the festival is forging an important tradition that highlights innovation and creativity, two hallmarks of our school’s mission. Past festivals have featured acclaimed composers and artists from around the world representing an exciting variety of styles, media, and techniques. This year’s festival will highlight works of guest composers: João Pedro Oliveira, Katie Balch, composers associated with Louisville Orchestra Creative Corps: Nkeiru Okoye, Tanner Porter, Alex Berko, Tyler Taylor, Baldwin Giang as well as works of UofL faculty and students. Guest ensemble Longleash Trio will read works of student composers and perform concert on Tuesday, Nov 7. Guests will work with students and faculty and will coach the ensembles, give masterclasses and presentations.
This year’s concert lineup is:
(press concert link for detailed program)
- Sun, Nov 5, 3-4pm, Speed Cinema : 70th Week / Multimedia Opera by João Pedro Oliveira
- Mon, Nov, 6, 9am-12pm, Comstock Hall, Longleash Student Composer Readings
- Mon, Nov 6, 8pm, Comstock Hall: Faculty Chamber Music and Choirs
- Tue, Nov 7, 8pm, Comstock Hall: Longleash
- Wed, Nov 8: 8pm, Comstock Hall:
- Th, Nov 9: 8pm, Percussion Ensemble and New Music Ensemble
- Fri, Nov 10: 8pm, Comstock Hall: UofL Orchestra, Choirs and Wind Ensemble
All concerts are free and open to the public.
- Mon, Nov 6, 2:00-3:20, Studio X (LL26) Guest composer João Pedro Oliveira will present at Intro to Computer Music Class
- Tue, Nov 7, 2:30-4:00 Studio X (LL26) Guest Composer Katherine Balch will talk about her works at the Composition Seminar
- Tue, 3:00-:4:00, Comstock Hall, Julia den Boer (Longleash Trio) will give a piano masterclass and presentation on contemporary piano techniques
- Wed, Nov 8, 3:00-4:00, Pala Garcia (Longleash Trio) will give a violin masterclass and presentation on violin contemporary playing techniques.
- Wed, Nov 8, 4:00-5:30 MB135, Guest composer João Pedro Oliveira will present his works to the Composition Seminar
- Thursday, Nov 9, 3:00-3:50, Bird Hall, Guest composer João Pedro Oliveira will address School of Music community during the Convocation
The New Music Festival is supported by the by the Jon Rieger Endowment for New Music at the University of Louisville.
Louisville Orchestra Creative Corps:
Now in its second year, the Louisville Orchestra Creators Corps is a new model for how composers can collaborate with a symphony orchestra in the 21st century. Each year, the LO invites three individual creators to move to Louisville and live in the Shelby Park neighborhood for one season. Throughout their residencies, they will compose new works to be performed by the LO, participate in educational and community engagement activities, and be active, engaged citizens of the neighborhood where they’ll reside. The three invited creators are active and conspicuous throughout the city -- acting as “artist-leaders” --- to develop meaningful relationships with neighborhood residents and embody the LO’s conviction that music is a fundamental part of civic life.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 502.852.6907.