Arabic Study Abroad Funding and General Information


Funding and General Information

For those interested in study abroad, you will first want to consult the website of UofL’s Office of International Affairs,  and its Study Abroad Program page. You will find important information here about both funding opportunities and University credit. Please note, if you want to earn UofL credit for courses taken in any summer program, you must consult _______________ at the ______________________ before you study at these programs.


UofL’s Department of Classical and Modern Languages funds summer study of languages for both undergraduate and graduate students. Applications for the Modern Languages Fund are available on-line  or at the door of the CML office Rooms 326 and 332 Bingham Humanities Building.


Another source of funding is the federal Critical Language Study fellowship, administered by the Council of American Overseas Research Centers (CAORC). Information on this fellowship can be found at


Finally, be sure to look into any scholarships or funding offered by language programs themselves. Many programs have money to help those who wish to attend them, with awards based on need and/or qualifications.


If you are planning to study abroad, you might wish to consult the U.S. Government's international travel site as well as their new travel site where you will find country-specific information, travel warnings and alerts and lots of other information.


General Guides to Summer Arabic Programs

For Arabic summer programs, both in the U.S. and abroad, two highly recommended links are:

The Middle East Studies Association (MESA) at (follow the links to Professional Resources/Summer Programs)

The American Association of Teachers of Arabic (AATA) at (follow the links to Arabic Programs/Summer Programs)

The Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition (CARLA) has a database of programs teaching Less Commonly Taught Languages at

Programs and URLs:

Arabic Language Institute in Fez (ALIF), Morocco

Beloit College (Wisconsin)