SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION NOW AVAILABLE.
Create your account now. Deadline: December 15, 2015.
The McConnell Scholarship is open to graduating high school Kentucky residents with a minimum 3.35 GPA. Applicants must have demonstrated a capacity for intellectual and public leadership. The following must be provided:
- Two Applications:
- Essay (not to exceed 500 words):
- "Readers of good books, particularly books of biography and history, are preparing themselves for leadership. Not all readers become leaders. But all leaders must be readers." - Harry S Truman, from The Autobiography of Harry S Truman
- Please react to President Truman's assertion by discussing at least three important leadership or life lessons you have discovered in your reading of books, newspapers, essays or poetry.
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation, one of which must be from a high school teacher
Scholarships are awarded to talented, deserving high school seniors and to a geographically diverse group of students from the Commonwealth. Applicants must have demonstrated leadership and communication skills, outstanding grades and test scores and a passion for service. Applicants should foster and cultivate the following core principles of the McConnell Center:
Please note: McConnell Scholars must maintain programmatic requirements while attending the University of Louisville, satisfy course requirements for a minor in political science and participate in activities sponsored by the Center. Scholars need not major in political science nor be involved directly in politics, but may do so if interested.
Approximately 26-28 applicants will be invited to interview Feb. 26-27, 2016. Scholarship recipients will be notified by April 1, 2016.
Current McConnell Scholars
- Average High School GPA: 3.97
- Average ACT: 31
- Meet the Current McConnell Scholars