Teacher Scholars Program
TSP 2022-2023: Variety - Left and Right
Rolling admissions beginning August 1. Click here to apply.
This dedicated group of Kentucky educators will enhance their knowledge of American political thought by spending the 2022-2023 academic year reading and discussing foundational texts through the Center's professional development programming.
Development for Teacher Scholars is supported by in-person and online hybrid-based lectures, seminars and other special opportunities—at little to no personal expense.
America seems more divided than ever and there often seems little mutual understanding of foundational political and cultural positions. TSP 2022-2023 will focus on reading and discussing texts to uncover and understand the foundations of contemporary political thought. An emphasis will be on conservatism, liberalism, feminism, black political thought, and libertarianism. The year will end by discussing ways we may find to move forward beyond what divides us.
We hope you will take this opportunity to continue your education and network with other great Kentucky educators.
Participants Will Receive:
- 20 or more professional development hours and certificate of completion
- Monthly lecture and private seminar opportunities with leading scholars and historical experts
- Opportunities to participate in all-expenses-paid weekend conferences on topics related to civics & American history, politics and culture
- FREE reading and study materials
- Discussion board access to share your thoughts and network with other teachers
- A classroom set of McConnell Center educational publications and resources
- a free Teacher Scholars Program T-shirt
- A Summer 2023 culminating experience to celebrate project completion
Requirements of Participation:
- Complete required reading assignments for lectures and seminars
- Participate in a set number of seminar/webinar and lecture opportunities each semester
- Participate in at least one weekend conference
- Provide one inquiry-based lesson based upon usage of the text to share with the TSP cohort
Questions? Contact McCivics@louisville.edu or (502) 852-3947
McConnell Center Civic Education Program