Interesting Facts about the RRS
- Originally, Robotic Retrieval System (RRS) technology was developed and utilized in industry, and in recent times, adapted for library use. The University of Louisville libraries were the seventh (7th) academic institution in North America to have such a facility.
- The RRS can hold up to 1.2 million volumes; currently there are approximately 500,000 volumes.
- Each robot (crane) weighs 6,900 pounds.
- Each robot can carry a bin that weighs up to 500 pounds.
- Books are organized in the bins by size and not call number or subject.
- Like a car, the robots undergo a quarterly checkup/maintenance to keep them running smoothly.