Step 2 - Assess Performance and Opportunities
The second step of the energy management process focuses on assessing energy performance and identifying opportunities for improvement. Assessing energy performance, both past and present, is essential to establishing a baseline of energy consumption and costs. This information provides a starting point with which to monitor and measure progress with energy efficiency efforts.
Evaluating the operational performance of major facilities and systems will highlight many low-cost/no-cost energy efficiency opportunities and draw attention to more cost-intensive long-term projects.
To assess energy performance and opportunities, a school district needs to:
- Gather and track energy consumption and costs.
- Establish a baseline of consumption and costs.
- Benchmark energy performance between facilities.
- Analyze energy use patterns and trends.
- Perform technical assessments and audits.
Step Two KEEPS Energy Management Toolkits
The KEEPS Energy Management Toolkits are self-guided training modules that provide information and resources about the components of the seven-step energy management process. There are 15 KEEPS Energy Management Toolkits for Step 2 - Assess Performance and Opportunities. The Step 2 Toolkits include presentations and several Microsoft Excel-based spreadsheets to use for each type of on-site energy efficiency assessment. NOTE: These spreadsheets are updated frequently by the KEEPS technical staff of engineers and energy managers. Please contact KEEPS to be sure you have the most current version.
- Toolkit Presentation [PPT, 9,484 KB]
- Utility Bill Analysis Tool [XL, 633 KB]
- Quick UBA Tool [XL, 83 KB]
- Toolkit Presentation [PPT, 2,189 KB]
- Lighting Tool [XL, 144 KB]
- Lighting On-site Energy Assessment Form [XL, 82 KB]
- Toolkit Presentation [PPT, 1,369 KB]
- Plug Load and Computer Power Management Tool [XL, 81 KB]
- Plug Load On-site Energy Assessment Form [XL, 75 KB]
- Toolkit Presentation [PPT, 2,411 KB]
- Water Heating Tool [XL, 44 KB]
- Water Heating On-site Energy Assessment Form [XL, 75 KB]
- KEEPS Assessment Report Template (with instructions) [PDF, 1,625 KB]
- KEEPS Assessment Report Template [MS Word, 1,217 KB]
NOTE: The downloadable materials on this page are saved with Microsoft Office version 2007 software. The Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack is a free download for those who have versions older than 2007 (XP and 2003 versions). Be sure to read the Overview and System Requirements before you download the Compatibility Pack.