In Social Work education there is an importance for field placement and field education. The classroom provides the path for students to become knowledgeable of theory. As, deemed by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), the learning experience students will gain from practicum learning is designated as the Signature Pedagogy for social work education. This is where students will place knowledge, theories, social works values and ethics into applied social work practice.
The advantages of field learning for students relate to professional and personal growth. Students will come into direct contact or interact with various groups, professionals, as well as people with different personalities, culture, and philosophies with whom they will likely work with later in their own careers. Through this interplay, social work students have hands-on opportunities to discover new ideas or think about their own values, prejudices, and attitudes toward others, while managing one’s own paradigm within real agency environments.
Through the help of our community partners (local, statewide, national, and international) we hope our students will:
- develop professional identity
- apply ethic principles of the profession
- apply critical thinking to guide professional practice
- engage difference and diversity practice
- advance human rights and social and economic justice
- apply classroom knowledge to practice
- engage in research-informed practice and practice informed research
- engage in policy practice to advance social and economic well-being
- demonstrate engagement, assessment, intervention, and evaluation skills
We here at the Raymond A. Kent School of Social Work and Family Science look forward to this journey for students where practice meets real world experience.
The Importance of Field Education
University of Louisville Kent School of Social Work and Family Science students gain meaningful work experience through field placements at social service agencies. This video highlights two local agencies that our students have worked in as practicum students: Catholic Charities of Louisville, and Volunteers of America Mid-States. Both agencies were recognized and honored as 2022 Champions for Change for their work in the community and in field education with Kent students.