Volunteer Opportunities in Cardinal Cupboard
The Commonwealth Credit Union Cardinal Cupboard prides itself on being led and operated by students. This requires a large number of student leaders and volunteers to help staff the pantry during the fall and spring semesters. If you are interested in volunteering in the pantry, please contact the internal programming assistant by email.
All volunteers receive training on food safety, expectations of volunteers, customer service, and general volunteer responsibilities. The goal is to provide patrons with a positive experience and welcoming environments.
Typical volunteer responsibilities include:
- Following basic food safety guidelines
- Greeting patrons with a friendly and welcoming attitude
- Protecting the confidentiality of patrons
- Refilling and stocking inventory as needed
- Cleaning and disinfecting surfaces
- Emptying recycling and compost containers as needed
- Weighing and tracking donations
- Canvasing campus with promotional flyers and/or chalking
- Reporting any issues or concerns to the pantry assistants or program advisor.
All volunteers must commit to a minimum of 1-hour shift per week during the fall and/or spring semesters. Volunteers are advised not to serve for more than 5 hours in a given week. Exceptions can be made if there are available shifts to cover.