Student Visa Types

Once accepted to the university, students are issued either an I-20 or DS-2019. These documents are necessary when applying at an American consulate or embassy for an F-1 (I-20) or J-1 (DS-2019) non-immigrant visa. Visit the US Department of State's website for more details.

    Academic Issues

    • J-1 students are allowed to change to a higher degree, but cannot move from one degree level to a lower degree or from a non-degree to degree student.  They must also remain in the same field of study as listed on the DS-2019 used for entry into the US.
    • F-1 students have no restrictions on either changing degrees or fields of study.

    The Grace Period After Study is Completed

    • J-1 students have 30 days.
    • F-1 students have 60 days.


    • J-2 dependents can apply for work authorization and can pursue a degree.
    • F-1 dependents can neither work nor pursue a degree.

    The Two-Year Home Country Residency Requirement