PER-1.18 May 1, 1992 Flex-Year Positions
I. POLICY AND/OR OBJECTIVE
This policy provides exempt employees with flexible work schedules which are adapted to the cyclical work load and the needs of employees of the unit for greater cost effectiveness and improved morale.
- A Flex-Year position is a position established for a period of less than 12 months, or less than full-time, usually related to the support of academic programs. For each Flex-Year appointment, an annual work schedule, expressed in total workdays, will be predetermined prior to the Flex-Year appointment. Annual Flex-Year appointments may be no less than 195 days (9 months) or more than 239 workdays (11 months) in duration.
- Exempt employees in Flex-Year positions will be treated as regular, full-time or regular, part-time employees. Full-time exempt employees in Flex-Year positions are regularly scheduled to work a 37.5 hour workweek during their period of appointment and are paid on a monthly basis. Part-time exempt employees in Flex-Year positions will include appointments of less than 37.5 hours per week, such as one-half time (50 percent FTE).
- The appointment year for full-time Flex-Year appointments will normally be July 1 through June 30. Annual salary increases for full-time Flex-Year employees will be effective the beginning of the payroll period closest to the beginning of the fiscal year.
- All exempt employees in Flex-Year positions will, at the time the position is created, agree upon (in writing) the specific period(s) of employment, including when the employee is scheduled to resume duties.
- Employees in Flex-Year positions regularly scheduled to work 37.5 hours per week (a minimum of 1462.5 hours per year) during the period of their appointment will be permitted to enroll in all benefit programs provided other full-time employees. Part-time employees working at least 50 percent FTE, and part-time staff and regular employees working .40 FTE immediately prior to May 1, 1992, are eligible for benefits.
- All newly hired, exempt employees in Flex-Year positions will serve a six-month provisional employment period, which shall not include the unworked portion of the year.
- Following completion of the first year of a Flex-Year position, a reassessment of the effectiveness of the employment arrangements will be made by the unit and the employee. At that time, the position will either become a permanent Flex-Year position or be allowed to continue for one more year on a trial basis. If the decision is made by the department or unit to continue the Flex-Year position beyond the second year of the trial appointment, it will be considered by the department or unit as a permanent Flex-Year position. If the unit desires to continue the Flex-Year position but the employee desires to return to full-time, 12-month employment, or if a unit desires to reestablish to full-time the 12-month position but the employee desires to continue in a Flex-Year position, the Human Resources Department will assist the employee in attempting to secure comparable employment within the university.
- Where there is mutual agreement between employee and unit for the employee to participate on a Flex-Year work schedule but where it is not possible for the position to be identified as a Flex-Year position, the employee will be eligible for a leave of absence without pay consistent with university policies (Section PER-4.13, Leaves of Absence Without Pay). Such authorized leaves without pay may be for personal convenience (such as extended vacation, travel, study, child care, etc.).
- Units should review current workloads to determine if the establishment of a Flex-Year Position (positions established on a 9, 10, or 11-month basis at full-time or 12-month basis at 3/4 time or an equivalent variation) would provide an appropriate staffing pattern for their unit. Where a Flex-Year position appears appropriate, the possibility of such an arrangement should be discussed with the employee.
- A detailed description of the Flex-Year work schedule indicating the specific periods of employment should be prepared by the department. A copy of the document should be given to the employee and a copy forwarded to the Human Resources Department.
- Special consideration should be given in establishing new positions to determine if the position should be established as a Flex-Year position prior to initiating recruitment activities.
- Exempt employees appointed to Flex-Year positions will be paid on a monthly basis. Professional/Administrative employees may elect to have their pay, while in a Flex-Year position, spread over 12 months.
- Deductions for employee benefits for eligible exempt employees working less than 12 months will be based on a separate contribution schedule to provide continuous benefit coverage during the entire period of appointment.
- Any new exempt employee appointed to a Flex-Year position will be required to sign an agreement, intitiated within the department, confirming acceptance of employment conditions associated with Flex-Year positions.