First-Generation Cardinal LLC
Are You a First Generation Student? If neither of your parents/guardians hold a four-year university degree, then you are a first generation (first gen) student even if you have a sibling who is attending college or graduating ahead of you. As a first gen student, you have what it takes to succeed, but sometimes financial, family, academic or work pressures can make the first gen student experience particularly challenging.
In partnership with the Student Success Center, the First-Generation Cardinal Community provides first-generation students the unique opportunity to live in an inclusive environment that encourages their academic and personal success. By providing a support system and fostering a sense of belonging, students in this community will be able to successfully transition into college life. Participants will be able to live amongst and interact with other incoming first-generation students who are also beginning their higher education journey at the University of Louisville.
Location: Belknap Village North
- Connection to a community designed specifically for First-Generation students
- Increased sense of community as a student at UofL
- Increased commitment to complete your degree
- Opportunities to work closely with other first-generation peers and participate together in relevant academic and social programming
- Increased opportunities to work closely with faculty and staff
- Expanded access to academic and personal resources on campus, including the first generation student group
Who can apply?
- Any first-year student who identifies as a First-Generation student
GEN 100-13 - An introduction to the University of Louisville that assists and focuses new students, specifically first-generation students, on individual student success, as well as students’ personal and academic development as they navigate their first year of college, and helps students clarify purpose and meaning through exploration of their individual skills, and interests. If you are unsure what course you should take, please contact your advisor as well as the LLC/TC Advisors, Christy Metzger and Kayla Lunt.