Fall 2020 Room Selection and Retention
WELCOME TO THE FAMILY
We are thrilled that you have chosen to find your #CardinalHome with Campus Housing at the University of Louisville (UofL). Students who live on campus gain invaluable social, academic, and extracurricular benefits. By joining our vibrant residential community, you are guaranteeing yourself access to a team of student and professional staff who are available 24/7 to assist in making your #CardinalHome a place that is accommodating, safe, welcoming, and enriching. You are also making an important first step in building long-lasting relationships with other residents, students, staff, and faculty.
Our team has created this timeline so that you are aware of how the Housing Application and Room Selection (and Retention, if applicable) will work as well as some important deadlines. For more a more detailed step-by-step guide to the Housing Application, please refer to our Fall 2020 Housing Application Tutorial.
PROCESS FOR INCOMING STUDENTS
- There is a community for everyone in our residence halls. Check out our Fall 2020-Spring 2021 living-learning and themed communities.
- Review our residential policies and procedures,including the Cancellation Policy.
- Explore the range of traditional, suite-, and apartment-style accommodations, and stay on the lookout for our new virtual tours!
- Complete your housing application! You will receive an automated confirmation email once the application and fee have been submitted. Monitor your UofL email account for further communication on room selection.
- Select your room by logging into the Housing Portal on your appointed date/time during the room selection period.
PROCESS FOR RETURNING RESIDENTS
- We are excited that you will be returning to your #CardinalHome! Review our residential policies and procedures, including the Cancellation Policy
- Complete your housing application! You will receive an automated confirmation email once the application has been submitted. Monitor your UofL email account for further communication on room selection.
- If you do not wish to retain your current room assignment, you may select your room by logging into the Housing Portal on your appointed date/time during the room selection period.
- Returning residents who select on the Housing Application that they want to stay in the same room (a process referred to as “room retention”) will be notified in February regarding whether or not they have successfully been reassigned to their space. Please be aware that not all bedspaces are available for room retention. If your space is not available, you should plan on participating in Returner Room Selection if you applied before February 1st OR selecting a space after March 9th if you did not apply for housing before February 1st.
- Since you have previously submitted the Housing Application fee, you are not obligated to re-submit an application payment.
STEP ONE: Get Started with the Housing Application
Complete a housing application online, and submit the $100.00 application fee (applicable if you have never paid the housing application fee before). Please note that if your application fee is not paid at least one business day before the start of the room selection period, you will not be able to access the room selection system (room selection access dates/times are emailed in advance of room selection) on your specified timeframe.
If you received a fee waiver on your UofL admissions application, then you may be eligible for a housing application fee of $50; however, this reduced fee is not automatic or guaranteed. In order to submit a reduced fee request, please follow the instructions on the Housing Application. Please allow for a processing time of three business days. If approved, you will need to return to the Housing Portal in order to make the reduced application fee payment. Your application is not complete until this payment has been processed.
If you are planning to apply for a living-learning (LLC) or themed community (TC) after the LLC/TC Application Launch on December 1st, 20219, you should go ahead and reserve a space during room selection. Later, if your LLC/TC application is approved, you will be unassigned from your original assignment and be responsible for logging back into the Housing Portal in order to select your LLC or TC bedspace.
STEP TWO: Submit an Application Payment
You will be prompted to pay online after you have successfully submitted your housing application. If you do not wish to make your payment at that time, you may access the Housing Portal later by visiting the Housing homepage and logging into the Housing Portal. We currently accept Discover, MasterCard, and Visa as forms of electronic payment. We are unable to accept cash, check, or money order.
STEP THREE (OPTIONAL): Establish a Roommate Group
If you are interested in living with your friends next year, have those conversations prior to the room selection period so that you can setup your Roommate Group before room selection begins. Learn more below in the Unit-Mates Section!
STEP FOUR: Explore Your Hall Options
Develop a list of buildings in which you would prefer to live. As beds are limited in each building, you should plan to develop a list that includes multiple options in ranked order. If you have decided to live with friends in a suite or apartment, make sure you have planned who will live in each room. Be sure to explore our hall options and view our hall rates.
STEP FIVE: Select Your Room
The date and time of room selection are determined by the day on which the student has submitted the general housing application (including application payment, if relevant). Students will be able to select a room online from the available spaces in the Housing Portal beginning on that student’s appointed date and time. Check out our Room Selection Instructions!