Fall 2021 Room Selection and Retention
PROCESS FOR INCOMING STUDENTS
- Once you have completed your housing application, you will receive an automated confirmation email once the application and fee have been submitted. Monitor your UofL email account for further communication on room selection.
- Select your room by logging into the Housing Portal on your appointed date/time during the room selection period.
PROCESS FOR RETURNING RESIDENTS
- Once you have completed your housing application, you will receive an automated confirmation email once the application has been submitted. Monitor your UofL email account for further communication on room selection.
- If you do not wish to retain your current room assignment, you may select your room by logging into the Housing Portal on your appointed date/time during the room selection period.
- Returning residents who select on the Housing Application that they want to stay in the same room (a process referred to as “room retention”) will be notified in February regarding whether or not they have successfully been reassigned to their space. Please be aware that not all bedspaces are available for room retention. If your space is not available, you should plan on participating in Returner Room Selection if you applied before February 1st OR selecting a space after March 9th if you did not apply for housing before February 1st.
- Since you have previously submitted the Housing Application fee, you are not obligated to re-submit an application payment.
- If you are planning to apply for a living-learning (LLC) or themed community (TC), you should go ahead and reserve a space during room selection. Later, if your LLC/TC application is approved by an advisor, you will receive instructions on how to un-assign yourself from your original assignment and re-assign yourself to a unit within your LLC or TC.
- If you are interested in living with your friends next year, have those conversations prior to the room selection period so that you can setup your Roommate Group before room selection begins.
- Develop a list of buildings in which you would prefer to live. As beds are limited in each building, you should plan to develop a list that includes multiple options in ranked order. If you have decided to live with friends in a suite or apartment, make sure you have planned who will live in each room. Be sure to explore our hall options and view our hall rates.
- The date and time of room selection are determined by the day on which the student has submitted the general housing application (including application payment, if relevant). Students will be able to select a room online from the available spaces in the Housing Portal beginning on that student’s appointed date and time. Check out our Room Selection Instructions, available here.
Want to View Your Assignment and Roommate(s)?
You may view your room assignment and roommate(s) by logging into the Housing Portal and navigating to "My Account." If you are not able to view a roommate name, this is likely due to one of two reasons: A. no one has yet assigned themselves into your unit or B. the roommate elected on the housing application that their information not be shared. Check out a quick video to learn more!
Want to Change Your Room?
The room change function is located in the Housing Portal under "Requests." You may change your space at any time during the designated room selection period by following our room change instructions.