Academic Policies & Requirements
Incoming First-Year Students
If you are an incoming first-year student to the University of Louisville please review the prospective students area of our site for more information about Honors. To read more about high school student eligibility standards for the University Honors Program, please click here.
Incoming Transfer Students or Current UofL Students
If you are interested in applying to the Honors Program and are either an incoming transfer student or a current UofL student who is not a member of the Honors Program, please click here to learn more about our eligibility requirements and application process. We also recommend you review the policies on this page in order to understand what is expected of you should you be accepted into the program.
Honors Good Standing Policy
In order to remain in good standing in the Honors Program, students must meet all of the following minimum requirements:
- 3.35 cumulative GPA
- Completion of three 3-credit Honors courses within their first four (full-time) semesters in the Honors Program (required for all students who entered the Honors Program in Fall 2008 or later)
- Completion of one 3-credit Honors course each academic year
First-Semester Freshmen Only
- If first-semester GPA is between 3.0 and 3.34, you will be placed on Honors Probation. This probationary period will last one semester. Students on Honors Probation will still receive full Honors Program benefits, including priority registration. If you do not raise your GPA to 3.35 after this probationary period, you will be suspended from the Honors Program.
- If first semester GPA is below 3.0, you will be suspended from the Honors Program.
All other Honors students
- If your cumulative GPA is below 3.35, you will be suspended from the Honors Program. If you are suspended, you will be notified via email sent to your UofL account. Because priority registration occurs before grades are posted, you may be suspended from the Honors Program even though you are registered for an Honors course. You will not be removed from any Honors courses for which you are already registered.
- To be readmitted to the Honors Program after being suspended for GPA, you must speak with an Honors advisor once your cumulative GPA has reached the 3.35 minimum.
Course Requirements (Activity)
- If you do not take at least three Honors courses (9 credits) in your first four (full-time) semesters in the Honors Program and/or you do not complete at least one 3-credit Honors course per academic year thereafter, you will be placed on Inactive Status. Students on Inactive Status do NOT receive priority registration. If you are placed on Inactive Status, you will be notified via email sent to your UofL account.
- To regain Active Status in the Honors Program, you will be required to enroll in and complete at least one 3-credit Honors course. Once you have completed the course, you will need to speak with an Honors advisor to regain Active Status.