Master of Education in Special Education with Concentration in Learning and Behavior Disorders P-12Major: SPE
Degree Awarded: MED
Program Webpage: http://louisville.edu/education/degrees/med-se-lbd
Admission Requirements: Admission to School of Interdisciplinary and Graduate Studies; Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution; two letters of recommendation; minimum combined score of 800 on the GRE; Test of English as a Foreign Language required of all foreign students from countries in which English is not the native language; copy of teaching certificate; and 2.75 cumulative grade point average.
Prerequisite for Admission to the Program:
1. EDSP 540, Introduction to Exceptional Children or its equivalent
2. Teacher Certification
Inquiry (Critical Thinker) (9 hours)
|EDSP 644* Applied Behavior Analysis||3|
|EDSP 639 Research Analysis in Special Education||3|
|EDSP 669 Single Subject Research Methods and Designs||3|
|Advocacy (Professional Leader) (6 hours)|
|EDSP 652 Academic and Behavior Response to Intervention||3|
|EDSP 627 Applications of Assistive Technology||3|
|Action (Problem Solver) (3 hours)|
|EDSP 645* Learning and Behavioral Disorders Practicum||3|
|Midpoint Assessment: Completion of 1/2 of Experienced Teacher Standards, with 3/4 of indicators for each standard|
|Area of Emphasis (At least 18 hours)|
|EDSP 637 Transdisciplinary Collaboration for Inclusion||3|
|EDTP 647 Teaching Mathematics to Students with Disabilities||3|
|EDSP 512* Methods for Students with Learning and Behavior Disorders||3|
|EDSP 516* Assessment Procedures for Learning and Behavior Disorders||3|
|EDSP 675* Characteristics, Needs, and Responses to Students with EBD||3|
|EDTP 640* Teaching Reading in Special Education P-12||3|
|Minimum total hours ||36|
*Course is required for certification.
Exit Requirements: Portfolio (All ETS standards and 3/4 of indicators for each standard) or Master's Thesis (EDAP 699)
- Students who earn a grade of B- or below in any course leading to teacher certification are required to repeat the course before being admitted to Practicum (EDSP 645).
- Successful completion of the appropriate PRAXIS Exams is required for Learning and Behavior Disorders teacher certification.
- Successful completion of midpoint evaluation of program, performance and portfolio.
- Minimum of 18 hours in 600-level courses is required.
- Transfer credit must be officially approved by the advisor (maximum of 6 hours) - final acceptance is dependent upon receipt of official transcripts.
- A maximum of 6 hours taken in non-degree status can be applied toward a Masters degree (upon approval of advisor).
- All courses must be completed within 6 years of admission to the program.
- To complete the program, students must have a minimum 3.0 grade point average. No credit shall be accepted for carrying a grade lower than "B-".
"Teacher certification requirements are subject to change. Before registering for the test(s), please refer to the Education Professional Standards Board (EPSB) website at www.epsb.ky.gov or http://www.ets.org/praxis/ky for current requirements.
Degree Candidacy: Students not enrolled during the semester in which they intend to graduate must register for degree candidacy as outlined in the Graduate Catalog, "Academic Policies, Procedures, and Requirements".
Associate Professor and Director Doctoral Program
Professor and Chair Special Education Department