Fall 2013 & Spring 2014
- You must file a FAFSA and meet all federal eligibility requirements, including at least half-time (4.5 hours) enrollment in a U of L eligible graduate degree program.
- Make sure that you have a Federal PIN. If not, you will need to apply for one through www.pin.ed.gov.
- If you are a first-time Direct Graduate PLUS Loan borrower at U of L, you must complete an Entrance Counseling session to be informed of your rights and responsibilities.
- If you are a first time Direct Graduate PLUS borrower, you must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN).
- If all eligibility requirements are met, the Student Financial Aid Office will automatically consider you for a Direct Graduate PLUS Loan award and send you an award notification.
- After receiving an award notification from our office, you must login to ULink to accept, reduce, or decline the loan offer.
- After acceptance of the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan via ULink, our office will send your loan request to the U.S. Department of Education for consideration. If a credit check has not already been completed, the U.S. Department of Education will check your credit history. To be eligible to receive a Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, you must not have an adverse credit history.
- If your credit is approved, our office will be notified of the approval. If you are determined to have an adverse credit history, you may still receive a Direct Graduate PLUS Loan if you obtain an endorser who does not have an adverse credit history. An endorser is someone who agrees to repay the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan if you do not repay the loan, such as a relative or friend who is able to pass the credit check. In some cases, you may also be able to obtain a Direct PLUS Loan if you document (appeal) to the U.S. Department of Education’s satisfaction that there are extenuating circumstances related to your adverse credit history.
- For further information regarding the Direct Graduate PLUS credit decision, you can call the Direct Loan Customer Service Center toll-free at 800-557-7394.