Fall 2012 & Spring 2013
- You must file a FAFSA and have received an award notification from our office. Our office does not include this loan option in the initial awarding of federal aid. Once you have been awarded your federal aid eligibility, you can initiate the Graduate PLUS Loan process.
- Make sure that you have a Federal PIN. If not, you will need to apply for one through www.pin.ed.gov.
- If you are a first-time Direct Graduate PLUS Loan borrower at U of L, you must complete an Entrance Counseling session to be informed of your rights and responsibilities.
- If you are a first time Direct Graduate PLUS borrower, you must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN).
- Please be aware, federal loans, including the Graduate PLUS Loan, may not be awarded after the spring loan period has ended. To allow for sufficient processing time, please have your loan request completed prior to April 24th.
- Students may apply at www.studentloans.gov. At this website, students may apply for the loan and receive immediate notification of the required credit check. You must be enrolled at least half-time (4.5 hours) in a U of L eligible graduate degree program for the funds to disburse to your account. You must continue to meet all other federal eligibility requirements. Please be advised that processing time may take 5-7 business days and longer during peak periods.
- If you do not pass the credit check, you may receive an endorser application. You still might be able to receive a Graduate PLUS loan if someone, such as a relative or friend who is able to pass the credit check, agrees to endorse your loan. For further information regarding the Graduate PLUS credit decision, you can call the Direct Loan Customer Service Center toll-free at 800-557-7394.