2013-2014 Terms of Agreement
1. Cardinal Covenant Award:
· As a Cardinal Covenant recipient, you are eligible to receive federal, state, private and institutional gift assistance equal to the direct cost to attend UofL. Items in the direct cost include the tuition, room (average of all standard university housing), board and books. For the 2013-2014 academic year, the direct cost is $18,940.
· Cardinal Covenant does NOT cover the additional tuition costs associated with distance education courses or course-related fees, such as laboratory or art supply fees.
· Your award(s) is subject to change based on the total gift assistance you receive, as well as federal and institutional policies. You may also be awarded Federal Work-Study to give you an opportunity to work on campus and earn spending money; the Federal Work Study Award does not count in the calculation of your total direct-cost award. Please consult a financial aid counselor before working an off-campus job, as your off-campus earnings may affect your future Pell Grant eligibility.
· If you need additional financial assistance, you may be eligible for student loans. See your financial aid counselor if you have questions about your Cardinal Covenant award, the Federal Work-Study Program or student loans.
· If you receive other aid, such as employee/dependent tuition remission and outside scholarships not already listed on your Financial Aid Notification (FAN), you must notify the Student Financial Aid Office. Complete the Report Other Aid orm available on-line at www.louisville.edu/financialaid. If other aid reported after funds are disbursed causes an overaward of direct costs, your award(s) may be subject to change based on federal and institutional policies.
· If you choose to participate in the Metropolitan College program, you are not eligible for the Cardinal Covenant program.
2. Enrollment and Academic Progress:
You are expected to maintain continuous enrollment as a full-time student (12 or more credit hours) each fall and spring. If you meet the renewal criteria, funds for the Cardinal Covenant program are available for a period of four years from the point in time of admission while pursuing a bachelor’s degree with the expectation that you will graduate in that time frame. You are not required to graduate within four years for the bachelor’s degree; however, once you use all of your semesters of Cardinal Covenant eligibility, the funding will end and you will be responsible for paying your tuition or utilizing other aid options.
· If, because of extenuating circumstances, you are unable to maintain continuous full-time enrollment, you must complete and submit the Leave of Absence form on the Financial Aid Website to request that your award be held for your return to school during a later term. If the Leave of Absence form is not completed, your award will not be renewed.
· The Cardinal Covenant funding will not cover balances created if you receive all Fs or withdraw from coursework during the semester.
· The Cardinal Covenant program will assist you if you are interested in participating in the National Student Exchange program or a Study Abroad program sponsored through the International Center resulting in credit hours posted to UofL. Before applying to a program you must work with the Student Financial Aid Office to learn about how your Cardinal Covenant award will be calculated. You may need to consider loans to cover the additional costs of travel, application fees and other associated costs.
· Funds for summer terms are available as long as you meet all renewal criteria by the end of the spring semester. Students not enrolled full-time during the summer will be given a pro-rated portion of the direct cost.
3. Student Development:
If you are a first year Cardinal Covenant recipient, you must complete the following student-development requirements:
- Schedule and attend two student development meetings in the fall semester with the Cardinal Covenant (CC) office.
· Second and Third year students are required to make one Development meeting with the Cardinal Covenant office for that year.
· Participate in the Ambassador Peer Mentoring Program during your entire first college year
· Follow up on referrals which may be made by your unit adviser, Cardinal Covenant contact, peer mentor or other campus contacts during your first college year.
- Students who are below a 2.5 term
GPA are strongly encouraged to
schedule an appointment with the CC office.
If you are a first-year student and you fall BELOW a 2.0 cumulative GPA in the fall semester, you must meet the additional requirement to schedule and attend two (2Development meetings in the following spring semester. You are required to continue to schedule and attend two (2) Development meetings each semester or until you have earned a 2.0 GPA cumulative GPA.
If you are a returning student beyond the first year of college who has earned a TERM GPA below a 2.0, you are required to schedule and attend two (2) Development meetings in the following semester. You are required to continue to schedule and attend two (2) Development meetings each semester or until you have earned a 2.0 cumulative GPA.
You demonstrate your commitment to success by pursuing these follow up referrals. Your record of participation will be an important consideration in any appeals process.
The University of Louisville, as an institution, places a high value on community service and engagement. It is expected that as representative of the University you will become involved with service yourself. The University offers many ways to do this from events sponsored by the Office of Student Involvement. After your first year, you may satisfy this obligation by completing service hours offered by Office of Student Involvement, or other university organizations such as the Porter Society, the Greek organizations, or recognized student organizations (RSOs). We expect students to report their service to the Cardinal Covenant office.
4. Renewal Requirements:
You are required to maintain minimum eligibility for all awarded federal, state and institutional funds.
· You are required to maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA for your Cardinal Covenant funding to be renewed. Eligibility for these funds is based on the cumulative GPA reviewed at the end of the spring semester. Coursework completed in the subsequent summer semester will not be used in determining eligibility.
· You must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) as defined at UofL for continued eligibility to receive federal aid. SAP is reviewed at the end of each spring semester to determine your eligibility for the following year. A complete review of the SAP policy and requirements is available online at www.louisville.edu/financialaid.
· As a Cardinal Covenant recipient, you are required to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year by January 24th, depending on the availability of state funding this date is subject to change. You must also continue to remain eligible for a Pell Grant each year. You must submit complete Verification documentation or other required ULink “To Do List” items by May 1st each year. Due to the availability of funds from federal and state sources, missing these required deadlines or submitting incomplete documents may result in the loss of Cardinal Covenant funds.
are required to comply with the conditions stated in sections 2 and 3 of these
terms of agreement.
If, because of extenuating circumstances, you do not meet the requirements of the Cardinal Covenant program as stated in the foregoing sections, you will not be eligible for Cardinal Covenant funding unless you file an appeal that is accepted by the appeals review committee. Appeals are due to the Student Financial Aid Office no later than June 1st each year. Completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and Verification documentation or other required ULink “To Do List” items are also required when you file an appeal. Your record of participation in required meetings, academic development and support referrals will be considered in the review of your appeal.
6. Changes in Program Requirements:
The university reserves the right to alter the requirements for all Cardinal Covenant students’ participation. Changes may include but are not limited to academic requirements, the amount of financial support, required meetings, and academic development and support referrals thatcould improve overall performance and success in the program. Any such determination shall be at the university’s sole discretion and shall be communicated to you as soon as possible. Returning Cardinal Covenant students will sign a new Cardinal Covenant Terms of Agreement at a required meeting near the beginning of each fall semester.