Frequently Asked Questions about Travel
Who is the University’s contracted travel agency?
The University has a contract with Pan Am Travel. Airline, hotel and car rental reservations can be made on the Pan Am on-line booking system, by calling Pan Am Concierge, Eleanor Prevost (5o2) 909-0882, or by email.
Some of the benefits of making your reservations through Pan Am are:
- $200,000 Travel Life Insurance when charged to the University’s central billing card,
- $250,000 Travel Life Insurance provided by Pan Am,
- Access to discounted/contracted pricing with airlines, hotels and rental car companies – including exclusive Cardinal fares!
- 24 X 7 access to the on-line booking tool and access to dedicated travel agents,
- No need to charge airline tickets and hotel rooms to your personal credit card,
- Increased volume on the central billing card = opportunity for departments to earn free airline tickets,
- On-site Pan Am Concierge,
- Cardinal Fares - fully changeable & fully refundable with 15-40% savings per ticket.
How do you book travel for a non-employee or guest?
All flight arrangements can be made on the Pan Am system and billed to the University’s central billing card and charged to a departmental speedtype. Hotel accommodations can be made at local hotels by either using a purchase order or a departmental procurement card. View the list of preferred local hotels.
Rental cars can be reserved through the Pan Am on-line booking tool or on the Enterprise Car Rental website. Use the Enterprise/UofL dedicated web site and pay for business rentals via a UofL purchase order.
How many people can I arrange for in the Pan Am system at one time?
Arrangements for up to 9 people can be made at one time in the Pan Am system. If you have groups of 10 or more, submit your group travel request with Pan Am’s on-line submission form.
How do I get access to the profiles of others in my department so that I can arrange for them?
A travel arranger can book travel for anyone as long as the traveler has not locked their profile. You can log on to your profile, click on the “More Tools” button, click on “Book For Traveler” under “Agency Tools.” This will bring up the search screen so that you can search for the traveler’s profile and make their arrangements. If the traveler has locked their profile, you will need to ask the traveler to add you as an arranger.
Where can I find the University’s Travel Policies on the website?
Can I use my procurement card for travel-related expenses?
A procurement card can only be used for the following “travel” expenses:
- Non-employee/Guest travel expenses, except airfare which must be booked through Pan Am
- Employee Conference Registrations
- Employee Car Rentals for same-day trips
- Group Car Rentals
For any other specific cases, please consult the Procurement Card website to determine if your expense is allowable.
**Please do not use a procurement card in the Pan Am system for flights – please use the Central Billing Card that is loaded on the site.
Do I need to submit receipts for every expense on my travel voucher?
For travel specifically, receipts are not required for any expenses less than $30, other than hotel charges. A hotel folio/receipt must be submitted in all cases.
Where do I look to see if someone has been reimbursed for their trip?
Normal processing time for accounts payable documents is 7-10 business days from the date of receipt. After that, documents can be viewed in PeopleSoft Financials in the menu for Accounts Payable>Vouchers> Add/Update>Regular Entry - searching by vendor name or vendor number.
I have a traveler who prefers to fly a specific airline in order to earn frequent flyer miles. Also, there are occasions when they would be willing to use their frequent flyer miles for business travel. Is this allowable?
The University travel policy specifies, “Commercial airline travel may be reimbursed at actual cost including taxes and fees for the most economical class available.” So, as long as the preferred airline was at least as economical as other airlines, it would be allowable. However, the University does not permit the flight decision to be made on “frequent flyer program” perks if the preferred airline is more expensive.
“Frequent Flyer miles and/or airline, hotel and car rental-issued coupons are not reimbursable. It is up to the discretion of the traveler if they apply personal credits to their business travel.”
What should I do if I am arranging a flight for someone else and right before I make the purchase, I realize that I did not switch over to their name? Will I lose all the selected flights if I have to start over?
Follow these instructions:
- Click on “Save as Template”
- Click on “Home” to start over
- Click on the “Profile” button on the right
- Under arranger settings, Click on “My Travelers”
- Select the traveler you are booking for
- Click on the “Templates” button on the right
- Click “View all Templates”
- Select the template that you want to copy
- Choose the travel dates
- Price the itinerary
How do I purchase an airline ticket on www.swabiz.com, Southwest Airline’s business site?
What if I need to make changes/cancellations to an airline ticket or hotel reservation?
All airline tickets and hotel reservations have different change/cancellation policies. It is very important that you review these rules and restrictions before making a purchase. The important thing to remember is that reservations need to be changed/canceled prior to the departure time or arrival date. Otherwise, there is a good chance that all travel funds will be lost on the airline ticket and that the hotel room stay will be charged to the credit card used to guarantee the room.
If the reservation was made through the Pan Am system, please log on and pull up the itinerary. Click on “trips” to the right and choose the trip that you want to modify/cancel. Under flight details “modify this flight” or “select modify seats.” You can also add a hotel or car rental. At the bottom of the page are the “cancel and purchase trip” options. Once a ticket has been issued, you will need to contact Pan Am at (502) 909-0882.
How do I book a hotel room in the Pan Am system and charge the room to the University’s central billing card?
Select the hotel and room rate that you want. Under the heading “Central Billing Card and Speedtype” choose bill to the University Central Billing Card. Next, under “University of Louisville Accounting Requirements” click the box “Do You Want The Hotel Direct Billed?” Selecting this box will prompt for direct billing eligibility.
I am traveling to a conference. Can I book my room at the conference rate through Pan Am?
First, it is always a good idea to check rates on the Pan Am system. There are times when you can find a room at the conference hotel at a cheaper rate or at the same rate as the conference rate. If it is available, go ahead and book the room via the on-line booking tool. If it is not available, please send an e-mail to the Campus Concierge agent , who will determine if it can be booked outside the system. Please provide any conference code numbers and specify the conference rate. If the room can be booked via Pan Am, the room and taxes may be able to be charged to the University’s central billing card.
Who is the University’s contracted car rental agency?
Enterprise Car Rental is the contracted agency. Additional car rental information.
Cars can also be reserved on the Pan Am website at our contracted pricing.
Should I accept the additional insurances that car rental agencies offer?
Per the University’s Travel Policy:
Domestic Trips: “Insurance to cover collision or comprehensive damage-waiver deductible on rental vehicles is neither an authorized nor reimbursable travel expense. When renting a vehicle, please make sure that the University of Louisville is listed as the lessee (i.e. "John Doe/University of Louisville"). View the policy on the University’s insurance coverage.
International Trips: “It is advisable, when traveling in a foreign country, that you obtain vehicle insurance provided by the rental car agency. (This does not apply to domestic rentals – see Section C, #3.) When renting a vehicle, please make sure that the University of Louisville is listed as the lessee (i.e. "John Doe/University of Louisville").”
Please explain the methods that can be used for meal reimbursements.
*In order to claim a meal allowance, you must have an overnight stay.
**This does not include business/entertainment meals.
***For international trips, one method must be used consistently on voucher.
||Domestic, Outside Kentucky||International|
|Per Diem method based on destination city.||Per Diem method based on destination city.
||Per Diem of general CONUS rate
|Actual Expenses are permitted, if not on a general fund or govt. grant/contract, with department head approval. Also, actual expenses are permitted, if less than the per diem rate for that city (regardless of funding source)||Actual Expenses are permitted, if not on a general fund or govt. grant/contract, with department head approval. Also, actual expenses are permitted, if less than the per diem rate for that city (regardless of funding source)|
|Federal Per Diem Rate by Country/City|
- Parking charges at Standiford Field (Louisville International Airport) should be charged to the “Out of State Misc. Expenses” or “Intl. Misc. Expenses” account code, not “In State Misc. Expenses”. Keep the account codes consistent throughout the travel voucher – consider the final destination city, not where the charge took place.
- Gas receipts from a gas station should be coded to the “Misc. Expense” account, not the “Rental Car” account code.
- Checked baggage fees should be coded to the “Misc. Expense” account, not the “Airfare” account code.
- Hotel parking and internet charges should be coded to the “Misc. Expense” account, not the “Hotel” account code.
- Business/entertainment expenses should be listed on the “Misc. Expense” page and should be coded as “Business/Entertainment Meals”. Please do not list these expenses on the meals and mileage page.
- Registrations should be listed on the “Misc. Expense” page and should be charged to the “Registration” account code. Likewise, submission expenses should be coded to the “Submission” account code.
- Be sure you are using the most current version of the travel voucher form.
- Make sure that you include the traveler’s PeopleSoft vendor number on the travel voucher. Also, please make sure that you have the correct vendor number and that it is “active” in the system.
- List your speedtype on every line that has an expense listed on the summary page, not just on the first line.