Online Budget Revision Request/Budget Change Order Instructions
It is understood that the appropriate unit's Dean or Vice President endorses all electronic Budget Revision Requests (BRR) or Budget Change Order Request (BCO) before the form is submitted to the Office of Budget and Financial Planning.
BRR - A Budget Revision Request is an adjustment to the University’s operating budget that changes the bottom line of the overall general fund budget or moves budgets between CSD’s in the current year but can have a CAR (Continuing Annual Requirement) component.
BCO - A Budget Change Order is used to have documentation and make adjustments to the new year budget during the Budget Development Cycle.
- College/School/Division (CSD) - University designator for major budget/organizational unit. Select the appropriate unit from the list in the drop-down box.
- Department Number and Name - The Department is the 10-digit number associated with the department name in the Peoplesoft Financials Speedtype Table. Entering a valid department number will autofill the department name to be displayed in the field to the right.
- Month - Use the drop-down box to select the month the budget revision is to be posted in PeopleSoft Financials.
- Fiscal Year - The fiscal year for the revision to be posted in PeopleSoft Financials will be prefilled with the current fiscal year.
- Budget Reference Number
A. BRR/BCO – Use the drop down box to select the proper form for the beginning of the reference number. BRR for current year only or current year with a CAR change as well. BCO will be used for CAR changes only.
B. In the field just to the right of BRR/BCO, type the initials of the preparer and the 3-digit sequential number of the form, beginning with 001 as the first BRR of the fiscal year. For example, enter MT001 for the first BRR of the fiscal year for a person with the initials MT; MT002 for the second BRR prepared by that person; and MT003 for the third, etc.
- Type of request
A. Additional Allocation
* Requesting additional new general fund support.
* Requesting new foundation funds.
* Requesting new agency funds.
B. Allocation offset by Specific Income/Credit - Items to be offset by specific income or intrauniversity credit charge.
C. Other - To be decided by the Office of Budget and Financial Planning.
- Schedule D Code and CAR Code – Select one using each drop down box for BCOs or BRRs with CAR.
A. Schedule D codes are: Rebudget within program, Rebudget between programs, Faculty promotion or Staff Reclassification.
B. CAR Codes: New Funds, Offset by Revenue/Departmental Credits, Significant Transfers.
- Description/Justification for Budget Revision - Explain the budgetary nature and situation surrounding the request and provide justification for requesting this revision. Enter wording to the effect of: Request an expense budget increase based on . . . Each request should stand on its own merit. If additional documentation is needed, please check the appropriate box to the right and include the supporting documentation as an e-mail attachment. When the request is based on income in excess of the budgeted income amount, use a description similar to: •Request an expense budget increase based on over-realization of revenue in the program.
- Budget Line – Fill in the budget line number when creating a BCO for reference as to what line in the budget is to be changed.
- CSD – A valid program number entry will autofill the designated CSD code.
- Fund - A valid program number entry will autofill the fund code. 4-digit code identifying the type of budget funds. General funds are always Fund 1000 with the minor exception of other being Fund 1010. Clinic (Cxxxx and Pxxxx programs) are Fund 1120. Athletics, Research and UofL Foundation programs have other unique fund codes. For more details, see the Fund descriptions on the Systems Information website.
- Department - A valid program number entry will autofill the department number. 10-digit number associated with the organizational entity in the Peoplesoft Financials Speedtype Table.
- Program Number - The cost center in a department that is separately budgeted and identified as a speedtype (5-digit code).
- Program Name – A valid program entry will autofill the designated program name.
- Budget Pool Description - Select the appropriate budget pool description using the drop-down box. The corresponding six-digit Account Code will automatically populate the field to the right. Most budget revisions will affect one or more of the three expense budget pools of Salary (511000), Fringe Benefits (512000), and Operating Expenses (500000) the first three choices of the drop-down box.
A. When increasing a salary line from S&E (unit or university reserves), you must provide additional funds for fringe benefits.
B. When rebudgeting salary funds from one regular position to another, a fringe adjustment is not needed. The net change will not affect the unit bottom line.
C. When requesting new salary funds from Central Administration (Reclassification and Faculty Promotions), no fringe adjustment is needed. Central Administration will allocate a permanent fringe allocation during the new year Budget Development Cycle.
- Account Code - A six-digit number defining the nature of the financial activity. The account code will be automatically entered when a selection is made in the budget pool description field to the left using the drop-down box.
- Requested Current Year Amount - Amount of funds either to add to (positive number) or take from (negative number) this program's budget for the current fiscal year. Do NOT use dollar signs or decimal points.
- Requested Continuing Annual Requirement (CAR) Amount - Annualized amount requested for a budget revision of a recurring nature which will be continued into future fiscal years.
- Position Number – Fill in the PCN (8 digit number) for the position that is being adjusted with the approval of the BCO or BRR with CAR.
- Prepared by - Type the name of the person preparing the BRR/BCO form and enter the date the form is prepared in the field just to the right of the name.