Associate Professor of Philosophy
PhD University of Toronto, 2001
BA Indiana University, 1993
Areas of Research: Philosophy of Literature. Aesthetics. Philosophy of Language.
- Fiction and the Weave of Life. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2007 (2012, paperback edition). Review in Times Higher Education
- Narrative, Emotion, and Insight. University Park: Pennsylvania State University Press, 2011. Coeditor, with Noël Carroll. Review in NDPR
- A Sense of the World: Essays on Fiction, Narrative, and Knowledge. London: Routledge, 2007. Coeditor, with Luca Pocci and Wolfgang Huemer. Review in NDPR
- The Literary Wittgenstein. London: Routledge, 2004. Coeditor, with Wolfgang Huemer. Review in Times Literary Supplement
*Copies of essays are available at PhilPapers
- "Representation and the Novel." The Henry James Review, 34.3(2013):220-231
- "What Does a Humanist Want?" Forthcoming in P. Hanna (ed.), Reality and Culture. Rodopi.
- "Selves on Selves: The Philosophical Significance of Autobiography." Journal of Aesthetic Education 46.4 (2012):109-119.
- “The Question of Poetic Meaning.” Nonsite 4 (2012).
Charles Altieri's response to a few of the papers in this issue.
- “Skepticism and the Idea of an Other.” In Stanley Cavell and Literary Studies: Consequences of Skepticism. New York: Continuum, 2011. W/ Simona Bertacco.
- “Thick Narratives.” In Narrative, Emotion & Insight.
- “Interpretation, Sincerity, and Theory.” Contemporary Aesthetics, Vol. 8 (2010).
- “Fiction and Emotion.” In Oxford Companion to Emotion and the Affective Sciences, pp. 184-185. Edited by David Sanders and Klaus R. Scherer. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009. *Encyclopedia entry
- “Literature and Knowledge.” In Oxford Handbook of Philosophy and Literature. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009. 467-85.
- “Cognitivism and The arts.” Philosophy Compass 3.4 (2008): 573-89.
- “Kritischer Pluralismus und Erkenntniszuwachs.” In Kunst Denken, pp. 105-116. Paderborn: Mentis, 2007.
- “The Prospects of Literary Cognitivism.” in A Sense of the World: Essays on Fiction, Narrative and Knowledge.
- “Interpreting Words, Interpreting Worlds.” Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism 64.4 (2006): 439-50.
- “Reading for Life.” In The Literary Wittgenstein.
- “Between Truth and Triviality.” The British Journal of Aesthetics 43.3 (2003): 224-37.
- Philosophy of Literature. Under contract with Routledge.
- Poetry, Metaphor, and Nonsense. Manuscript in progress.
- The Philosophy of Poetry. Editor. Under contract with Oxford University Press.
- The Routledge Companion to Philosophy of Literature. Co-editor, with Noël Carroll (CUNY). Under contract with Routledge.
- "The New Propositionalism: On Missing the Point of Literary Cognitivism"
- “Are Metaphors Ever Mimetic?”
- “Narrative and the Literary Imagination”
- "Persons, Narratives, and the Literary Conception of Selfhood"
- Author Meets Critics session on Tzachi Zamir's Acts: Theater, Philosophy and the Performing Self, American Society for Aesthetics, November 2nd 2013.
- “What Makes a Poem Philosophical?” American Comparative Literature Association, Brown University, March 29th-April 1st 2012.
- “Milton, Kant & The Literary Imagination,” presented at “Philosophical Perspectives on Paradise Lost (Book IX): An International Workshop in Honor of Professor Sanford Budick,” The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, December 14th-15th, 2011.
- “Problems of Meaning in Poetry and Metaphor,” presented at The University of Tampere, Finland, November 10th, 2011.
- “The Problem of Poetic Meaning,” presented at No Quarrel: Philosophy and Literature Today, Boston University, April 2nd, 2011.
- “Skepticism and the Idea of an Other,” presented at a symposium in honor of Stanley Cavell, Harvard Humanities Center, October 14th -16th, 2010.
- “The Question of Poetic Meaning,” presented at Wittgenstein and Aesthetics: 3rd British Wittgenstein Society Annual Conference, University of Southampton (UK), June 28th, 2010.