All Laser Supervisors and Laser Users must be trained in the safe use of lasers prior to beginning laser work. Laser Safety Training is offered by the Radiation Safety Office via an online program.
- Fundamentals of laser operation
- Bioeffects of laser radiation on the eye and skin
- Significance of specular and diffuse reflections
- Non-beam hazards of lasers
- Control measures
- Overall responsibilities of management and employees
- Medical surveillance practices (if applicable)
Everyone operating the laser shall review the Laser Safety Manual. All laser operators shall receive instructions from the Laboratory Supervisor on the safe operation of the laser, administrative procedures, alignment procedures and other applicable SOPs.