Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools
You are here: Home OHS illnesses

Injuries & Illnesses

by rwschm02 last modified Feb 05, 2009 02:01 PM

Life Threatening Injury or Illness

  • Call 911

Severe life threatening injuries include such injuries as severe lacerations, severe burns, fractures, loss of consciousness and uncontrolled bleeding.

Severe Chemical Exposure

  • Inhalation - Take victim to fresh air
  • Skin or Eye Contact - Immediately begin flushing exposed areas with water for 15 minutes
  • Call 911
  • Go to University Hospital via EMS

Severe chemical exposures to the skin must be taken via EMS to University Hospital, where a decontamination facility is available. If possible, obtain athe Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for the chemical and send it to the hospital with the victim.

Non-Life Threatening Injury or Illness

  • Go to the nearest Campus Health Services Office, at HSC or Belknap for treatment during normal business hours.
  • Supervisor: Call ahead to the Health Services Office 852-6446 to notify staff and complete Injury/Illness forms available from Risk Management
  • For Treatment after hours:
    • Call 852-6446 for the Campus Health Services physician on call if you need assistance
    • For injuries that can wait, go to the Campus Health Services Office on the morning of the next business day.
    • For injuries that cannot wait, you may go to your physician or a provider of your choice.
  • It is important to report a work-related injury or illness immediately, no matter how insignificant the incident may seem, as often those that get overlooked turn into larger medical problems.

Needlesticks/Bloodborne Pathogens Exposures

  • Wash the exposed skin with soap and water, flush mucous membranes with water
  • Call 852-6446 (answered 24/7) as soon as possible and a physician will provide you with instructions
  • Go to the nearest Campus Health Services Office as soon as possible during normal business hours.

Reporting Injury and Illness

  • Any work related fatality, amputation or incident requiring hospitalization must be reported IMMEDIATELY to DPS at 852-6111. UofL is required to notify Kentucky OSHA.
  • It is the employee's responsibility to notify their supervisor as soon as possible of any work related injury or illness.
  • It is then the supervisor's responsibility to immediately complete, sign and forward the Injury/Illness forms to Risk Management.





Campus Health Services Office

Risk Management



Document Actions
Personal tools