Department of Biology faculty, education, and interests
- Ph.D.,University of Oklahoma, 1987
- Population ecology and physiological ecology of aquatic invertebrates; zebra mussel (Dreissena) biology.
- Dr. Alexander's page.
Ronald Atlas, Professor [r.atlas (at) louisville.edu]
- Ph.D., Rutgers, 1972
- Microbial ecology and physiology; hydrocarbon metabolism; microbial abatement of pollution; polar microbiology.
- Ph.D., University of Rhode Island, 1989
- Nutrient cycling; ecosystem ecology of terrestrial habitats, particularly those in urban and suburban landscapes.
- Center for Environmental Science
Gary Cobbs, Professor [gacobb01 (at) louisville.edu]
- Ph.D., University of California, Riverside, 1974
- Population genetics; protein polymorphism; evolutionary theory; Drosophila genetics.
- Ph.D., University of Alaska, Fairbanks, 1997
- Behavioral neuroendocrinology, environmental signaling and the central nervous system.
- Dr. Corbitt's laboratory page.
Lee Dugatkin, Professor and Distinguished University Scholar [lee.dugatkin (at) louisville.edu]
- Ph.D., State University of New York, Binghamton,1991
- Behavioral and evolutionary ecology; Evolution of cooperative and altruistic behavior; cultural transmission and female mate choice; evolutionary psychology.
- Dr. Dugatkin's page.
- Ph.D., University of California, Davis, 1991
- Behavioral ecology and conservation biology of terrestrial vertebrates and insects.
- Ph.D., Michigan State University, 2005
- Plant ecology, biodiversity, succession, restoration, plant-fungus interactions, plant-insect interactions, invasive species, sand dune biology.
- Dr. Emery's laboratory page.
Paul Ewald, Professor [pw.ewald (at) louisville.edu]
- Ph.D., University of Washington, 1980
- Evolutionary ecology of parasitism, evolutionary medicine, agonistic behavior, pollination biology.
Ronald D. Fell, Professor and Chair of the Department [rfell (at) louisville.edu]
- Ph.D., Iowa State University, 1977
- Applied physiology, nutrition, muscle metabolism and exercise physiology.
Paul R. Himes, Assistant Professor [paul.himes (at) louisville.edu]
- Ph. D., Michigan State University, 2009
- Microbiology, molecular genetics
Arnold J. Karpoff, Associate Professor [ajkarp01 (at) louisville.edu]
- Ph.D., University of Oregon, 1969
- Morphology and physiology of plant growth and development; plant ultrastructure.
- Ph.D., University of Michigan, 1995
- Digestive energetics as related to parasitic infections.
- Dr. Mansfield-Jones' page.
William D. Pearson, Professor, Curator, Clay Fish Collection [wdpear01 (at) louisville.edu]
- Ph.D., Utah State, 1970
- Fisheries biology; ichthyology; aquatic ecology; stream drift, biospeleology.
Michael Perlin, Professor [mhperl01 (at) louisville.edu]
- Ph.D., University of Chicago,1983
- Molecular genetics; structure and function of the gene; molecular biology of drug action; gene mapping and splicing, fungal phytopathogens, host/pathogen interaction.
Shira Rabin, Assistant Professor [shira.rabin (at) louisville.edu]
- Ph.D., Northwestern University, 2005
- Bacterial pathogenesis; toxin biology; host/pathogen interactions
Susanna Remold, Associate Professor [susanna.remold (at) louisville.edu]
- Ph.D., Cornell University, 1998
- Microbial evolutionary ecology and evolutionary genetics; adaptation to free-living and host association; microbes of the built environment
Mark Running, Assistant Professor [mprunn01 (at) louisville.edu]
- Ph.D., California Institute of Technology, 1997
- Plant genetics and development; drought tolerance; biofuels.
- Dr. Running's laboratory page.
- Ph.D., The Pennsylvania State University, 1996
- Molecular genetics, biotechnology, and biochemistry; production of unusual lipids and secondary metabolites in plants; trichome mediated pest resistance in Pelargonium xhortorum (geranium).
Joseph M. Steffen, Associate Professor [joe.steffen (at) louisville.edu]
- Ph.D., University of New Mexico, 1980
- Cellular and molecular physiology; environmental physiology, endocrine and growth factor effects on muscle.
Micah Worley, Assistant Professor [micah.worley (at) louisville.edu]
- Ph.D., Oregon Health Sciences University, 2000
- Microbiology of intracellular pathogens and pathogen manipulation of host cells.
- Dr. Worley's laboratory page.
- Ph.D., University of Oklahoma, 1999
- Ecology and Conservation, species interactions, species richness in terrestrial and aquatic communities, diversity in the tropical forest canopy.
- Dr. Yanoviak's laboratory page.
Deborah R. Yoder-Himes, Assistant Professor [deborah.yoder-himes (at) louisville.edu]
- Ph.D. Michigan State University, 2005
- Microbiology and molecular genetics. Bacterial pathogenesis, transmission of opportunistic pathogens, the role of bacterial pathogens in the environment, and the evolution of pathogenesis.
- Dr. Yoder-Himes' laboratory page.