Graduate Certificate in Women's and
Admission to the graduate certificate in Womens & Gender Studies is open to any student who has completed a B.A. or B.S. degree with a 3.0 overall GPA. Students may pursue the certificate outside the framework of a graduate degree program or in conjunction with a graduate degree program in another UofL department. Students wishing to pursue the certificate must apply for admission through the Graduate School by:
- completing a Graduate School application form and sending in the application fee
- submitting an official transcript reflecting previous degrees earned
Students must also send directly to Women's and Gender Studies a 1-2 page letter of intent, describing how the WGS graduate certificate will further their personal or professional goals.
Students wishing to pursue the graduate certificate in conjunction with a graduate degree program in another UofL department should first apply and be admitted to the degree program before applying for admission to the WGS graduate certificate program.
1. Students must complete a total of 15 hours in courses approved for graduate credit in accordance with the policies of the Graduate School, approved by the WGS chairperson.
2. One course among the 15 hours must be WGST 602 or WGST 603.
3. At least two courses must be at the 600-level.
4. Courses must be chosen from both humanities and social sciences disciplines, with consultation of WGS chairperson.
5. Students pursuing the WGS certificate in conjunction with a graduate degree program must take at least one course outside of the department in which the student is pursuing the degree.
6. A single course may satisfy more than one requirement.
7. Course work toward the graduate certificate in WGS may also count toward the students graduate degree.