Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools
You are here: Home Campus News University fire marshal gives holiday safety tips

University fire marshal gives holiday safety tips

by Dwain Archer last modified Dec 07, 2010 10:56 AM

To prevent fires and conserve energy, before leaving each day or for the holiday vacation, THINK GREEN and remember to unplug decorations, personal space heaters, coffee pots, battery chargers, desk lamps and other non-essential energy-consuming equipment.

  • Egress (exit) hallways and stairs should have enough light to negotiate safe passage at all times. 
  • To avoid fires, electrical power cords should not be extended between door jambs, above acoustics ceiling tiles or beneath floor carpets.
  • Inspect electric cords periodically to detect frayed, pinched or damaged wire or plugs. Report damaged outlets to Physical Plant for repair. Discontinue use of all defective electrical equipment immediately. Avoid laying electrical equipment on wet surfaces to prevent shock hazards.
  • Avoid decorating more than 25 percent of doors and/or walls with combustible items.
  • Avoid wrapping stair banisters with electric lights or decorations that will prevent users from gripping them firmly and create possible trip hazards.
  • Avoid decorating public hallway exit doors and ceilings.
  • Do not bring decorative or scented candles with wicks intact to campus. They are prohibited.
  • Cut Christmas trees, hay, straw and other dried vegetation are not allowed inside university buildings.
  • Use electrical equipment that bears the Underwriters Laboratory (UL) or an approved test laboratory label.

Direct questions or comments to Dwain Archer at 852-3473 or dearch01@louisville.edu

Document Actions
 
Personal tools