Commencement set for May 12; events also scheduled other days
More than 2,734 University of Louisville students are expected to graduate this semester and at least 1,800 of the soon-to-be graduates will take part in commencement ceremonies May 12 at the KFC Yum! Center. There will be two separate ceremonies to allow enough time for each graduate to step onto stage to receive a diploma.
Here is the May 12 schedule:
- 10 a.m. College of Arts and Sciences, School of Dentistry, Louis D. Brandeis School of Law, School of Medicine, School of Music, School of Nursing and School of Public Health and Information Sciences
- 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. Reception for all students and their families with President James Ramsey
- 2 p.m. College of Business, College of Education and Human Development, Kent School of Social Work and J.B. Speed School of Engineering
Ramsey will preside at both ceremonies. Commencement highlights include
- Talks by
- Van Clouse, professor, College of Business and 2012 Trustees Award winner for his dedication to students, at both ceremonies.
- Tara Schapmire, a doctoral graduate from the Kent School of Social Work, 10 a.m. ceremony.
- Deep Aggarwal, a bachelor’s graduate in economics from the College of Business, 2 p.m. ceremony.
- Presentation of Doctor of Public Service, honoris causa degrees to Bernard (posthumously) and Jean Trager for their service to the community, state and university. Bernard, chairman and founder of Republic Bancorp, served as chair of UofL’s Board of Overseers and as a member for nearly three decades.
- School of Interdisciplinary and Graduate Studies doctoral hooding ceremony. 3 p.m., May 11, KFC Yum! Center. These students also will participate in the May 12 ceremony.
- A recognition ceremony for the first 10 students to graduate from UofL’s sign language program. 8 p.m.–9:30 p.m. May 11 in the auditorium of Strickler Hall on Belknap Campus.
For the commencement ceremonies, students and their guests should enter the KFC Yum! Center through the Main Street entrance. The arena is on Main between Second and Third streets.