Campus to celebrate International Women’s Day March 20
The University of Louisville community will gather to honor women from all over the world for International Women’s Day from 5:30-8 p.m. March 20.
The event, located in Miller Information Technology Center’s Bigelow Hall, is free and participants are invited to celebrate a woman in their lives.
UofL’s Prevention, Education, and Advocacy on Campus and in the Community (PEACC) program hopes to raise awareness about the importance of women’s mental health with this year’s theme “Inspiring Change.”
“Women are inspiring change every day – let’s come together and share ways that we can make a greater impact!” said PEACC Program’s director Sharon LaRue.
International Women’s Day will feature keynote speakers, including UofL’s Women’s Mental Health Care Program Director Joyce Spurgeon, MD; Center for Mental Health Disparities Associate Director Monnica T. Williams, PhD; and American Association of University Women membership director Jean Gordon.
“We are excited to be focusing on ways to increase our collective mental health. Research shows that women who are true to themselves and focus on becoming happier are more creative, altruistic, productive and empowered to build vibrant communities,” LaRue said.
The event will feature five interactive stations where participants can get tips on how to “Live a Beautiful Life, a Grateful Life, a Connected Life, a Mindful Life, and an Active Life.”
Stations activities will include:
- Personal organization tips and advice
- How to fully utilize a wardrobe and treat yourself
- Steps to starting a gratefulness journal, doing random acts of kindness, and giving back to women’s organizations in your community
- Writing encouraging and thankful post cards to inspiring women
- Ways to reduce negative talk and spread compassion among others
- Morning Yoga stretches and 10-minute meditation/prayer
- Reflexology foot massages, five-minute desk workouts and quick delicious, healthy recipes
- Donations from Borselino’s and Havana Rumba
Participants can also sign-up for UofL’s Day of Service and learn more about taking advantage of the Community Service Leave for faculty and staff.
Participants can also donate shoes to WaterSteps at the event.
The special event is organized by Louisville’s American Association of University Women branch, Get Healthy Now, the Women’s Center, Health Promotion and PEACC.
Register at louisville.edu/peacc/forms/international-womens-day-registration. For more information, call 502-852-2663 or e-mail email@example.com.