Annual address, faculty awards, picnic highlight State of the University Week
A weeklong series of events will lead up to President James Ramsey’s annual State of the University address on Wednesday, Sept. 11.
Ramsey will discuss the past year’s successes and look forward to the future during his presentation, which will be at 2:30 p.m. in the School of Music’s Comstock Concert Hall. A reception will follow at 3:30 p.m.
State of the University Week will begin Thursday, Sept. 5, with a talk by Ramsey on “State of the State Economy: Impact on the Day to Day Life of UofL” at 1 p.m. in Horn Auditorium in the College of Business.
Events continue with a faculty/staff appreciation picnic Friday, Sept. 6, from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the Humanities Quadrangle on Belknap Campus. The picnic will include food, music and drawings for prizes ranging from autographed footballs and basketballs to a week of VIP parking. Shuttles will run to and from the Preston Street shuttle site near the Health Sciences Center Plaza between Muhammad Ali and Chestnut Streets from 10:45 a.m. to 1:45 p.m.
A Celebration of Faculty Excellence Monday, Sept. 9, will include recognition of UofL’s Distinguished Faculty Award winners and others. The event will be at 6 p.m. in the Brown and Williamson Club of Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium.
Here’s the full schedule of events:
Thursday, Sept. 5
State of the State Economy: Impact on the Day to Day Life of UofL
1 p.m. - 2:15pm, Horn Auditorium, College of Business
Friday, Sept. 6
Faculty & Staff Picnic
11 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Humanities Quadrangle
Monday, Sept. 9
Celebration of Faculty Excellence
6 p.m., Brown and Williamson Club, Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium
- President’s Distinguished Faculty Awards (Outstanding Scholarship, Research and Creative Activity; Service; and Teaching)
- President’s Exemplary Multicultural Teaching Award
- University’s new endowed chairs/professors
- New University Scholars and Distinguished University Scholar
- 2012 Community Engagement Faculty winner
- Faculty whose creative work has resulted in new patents, licenses and options
Tuesday, Sept. 10
Showcase of Faculty Excellence 2013: Engagement
- Noon – 2 p.m. – Faculty presentations
- 3 p.m. – Hiram Fitzgerald, Michigan State University
New Faculty Reception
4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m., HSC
Wednesday, Sept. 11
Ann and Jim Bowling Quiet Study Area Dedication
10am, Ekstrom Library 4th Floor
Wednesday, Sept. 11
State of the University Address
- 2:15 p.m. – Marching Band Drum Line leads processional through campus
- 2:30 p.m. – State of the University Address
- 3:30 p.m. – Post-Reception