Shelby Campus Green Team
A group devoted to education, outreach and collaboration for sustainability at UofL's Shelby Campus.
The Shelby Campus Green Team wants to involve employees, students, visitors and community members at Shelby Campus in the sustainability process. Doing so creates an engaged and empowered community — one that makes choices that benefit both the planet and the health and wealth of our University of Louisville community.
The mission of the Shelby Campus Green Team is to create awareness for and action around sustainability initiatives. The Team seeks to accomplish this through collaboration with both internal and external partners and by applying concepts to demonstrate feasibility and success.
The Shelby Campus Green Team has a passion and commitment to protecting public health and the environment and doing so in both an economically and socially responsible manner. The Team not only leads by example, but also serves as a resource to help implement University sustainability initiatives on the Shelby Campus.
Projects and initiatives:
- Shelby Campus: Partnering for Sustainability, Panel Discussion (February 28, 2012)
- Sponsored Shelby campus events around 2012 Earth Day in April, including a campus clean-up and launching a series of brown bag information sessions covering: Home Energy Audits; Composting 101; and UofL Sustainability Initiatives.
- Hosted a 2011 UofL Sustainability Week brown bag event on Shelby Campus on October 20th.
- Conduct baseline assessments for the following:
- Electricity (Performance Contract)
- Gas (Performance Contract)
- Develop composting management plan and budget.
- Seek opportunities to include physical plant, caterer, grounds crew and others in campus sustainability efforts.
Roles and responsibilities of the Shelby Campus Green Team and its members include the following:
- Build awareness around environmental sustainability initiatives through education, outreach and collaboration with both internal and external partners, including the following:
- Shelby Campus (Delphi, Physical Plant, etc.)
- Belknap Campus and the university-wide Sustainability Council
- Partnership for a Green City
- Northeast YMCA Branch
- Hurstbourne Green Business Development
- Track, monitor, verify and report savings from green initiatives.
- Identify opportunities, overcome obstacles for implementation, and develop both short- and long- term goals.
- Build networks to support efforts and initiatives.
- Serve as a resource to other groups on campus and in the broader community.
The Team meets on the last Monday of every month at 1:00 PM in Burhans 157.
Those interested in getting involved should contact Lissa McCracken at KPPC: ejmccr01 (at) louisville.edu