There are many ways for UofL students, faculty, staff, and friends to contribute to our sustainability efforts - from individual action to research to group activities.
- Become an Eco-Rep! This new program through the Sustainability Council offers in-depth campus sustainability training for all students, faculty, and staff willing to become a point-person for peer-to-peer mentoring about sustainability in their building, unit, department, club, or residence hall. Eco-Reps also participate in on-going service opportunities. Basic and advanced certifications available. Full details here, or contact Eco-Reps Coordinator, Brian Barnes <brian.barnes (at) louisville.edu>.
- Volunteer! The Sustainability Council can put your skills and interests to work! Meeting schedules for the Sustainability Council and its Committees are available here. Your contributions are always welcome! For questions contact Justin Mog 502-852-8575, justin.mog (at) louisville.edu. Other volunteer opportunities include:
1. Many sustainability-focused service opportunities exist through UofL's new Eco-Reps program.
2. SOUL- Student Outreach Uniting Louisville offers a variety of service projects throughout the academic year!
3. Get involved in one of the many Local Organizations promoting sustainability in our community! The Office of Community Engagement lists service opportunities with all types of organizations here.
- See our Green Tips page for a list of ideas about what you can do to lead a more sustainable life and help improve our community.
- Participate in some of the many UofL Sustainability Events throughout the year!
- UofL Green Fund - Your contributions directly support UofL sustainability initiatives!
- Take the Cards Go Green! Pledge to increase your personal sustainability!
- Graduating? Take the Sustainability Graduation Pledge to make social and environmental responsibility part of your life after UofL!
Take the Partnership for a Green City's energy pledge! Each of us can help UofL decrease the kilowatt hours used in many simple ways. Become aware of the ways you use energy at work and how you can also save money by changing habits at home.
- Seek out local and sustainable products, services, events, and organizations: GreenList Louisville - Your guide to sustainable living.
- Understand your current impact. Use these online tools to calculate your Ecological Footprint (an estimate how much land area it takes to support your lifestyle) and your Carbon Footprint (an estimate of your greenhouse gas emissions) and learn how to be part of the solution!
- Offset your carbon emissions through a services such as Carbonfund.org.
- Take the Student Survey! UofL students are encouraged to participate in a research study about your environmental awareness & knowledge, environmental & social attitudes, and environmental behaviors. More information. Participate in the survey.
- UofL Sustainability Council - Meeting schedule available here. Follow us on ; Follow us on Twitter
- UofL Eco-Reps - Students, faculty, and staff who are trained to serve as a point-person
for peer-to-peer mentoring about sustainability in their building, unit,
department, or residence hall.
- Law School Sustainability Committee - Follow on
- Shelby Campus Green Team
- Arts & Sciences Green Team - Contact Rodger Payne, rodger.payne (at) louisville.edu
- Campus Tree Advisory Committee - Contact Justin Mog.
- UofL Solar Decathlon 2013 Team Kentuckiana - E-mail: email@example.com. Office: JB Speed LL29. Read about the team's selection to compete in 2013!
- Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Club - Join us on OrgSync or Follow on
- Engineers Without Borders - UofL Student Chapter - Follow on
- Student Government Association (SGA) - Sustainability Committee
- Environmental Law & Land Use Society - Follow on
- Leadership Quest Living-Learning Community focused on community service (Center Hall)
- Kentucky Dream Coalition - UofL Chapter
Housing Green Committee - Follow on
- Fair Trade U of L - firstname.lastname@example.org
- UofL Cycling Club - Follow with Google Friend Connect
- Louisville Student Cycling Coalition - Follow on
- Biology Undergraduate Society - Follow on
- Cards 4 Freedom (Anti Human Trafficking) - Follow on
- Louisville Students for Justice in Palestine - Follow on Twitter, YouTube, and Blogspot.
- commonGround - Follow on
- U.S. Green Building Council UofL Student Chapter (LEED) - Follow on
UofL students attend the annual USGBC GreenBuild Conference. See more photos.
- Courses: Consider weaving sustainability themes into the classes you teach or offering new courses focused on sustainability. Our Green Threads program can help you get started.
- Research: Because sustainability concerns are interdisciplinary and universal, there's no end to the possibilities for you and your students. Whether your focus is off-campus or helping make UofL a living laboratory of sustainability, our Research page will give you some resources and ideas to get started.
- Lead By Example: Faculty are mentors to the next generation. Students learn not only from your lectures and assignments but by observing your actions. "Walk the talk" by following these Green Tips for more sustainable behaviors!
Meeting times for the Council and its Committees are available here: