Ensuring our funds are managed with a triple-bottom-line perspective that takes into consideration the economic, social and environmental impacts of our investments.
In November 2010, Provost Willihnganz charged a new university-wide Committee on Socially Responsible Investing (SRI) with making recommendations to the President and Provost on financially, socially and environmentally responsible investment opportunities across asset classes and other related recommendations as appropriate, including shareholder advocacy and proxy voting.
The Committee has multi-stakeholder representation and provides a structure for fostering dialogue on investment opportunities, and helping the UofL Foundation make responsible investments that ensure financial health for UofL while promoting sustainability in the wider world. The Committee seeks investment opportunities that compliment the University’s mission, its resource requirements, and its commitment to sustainability.
UofL’s 2020 Plan measures our progress in sustainability based upon the Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System (STARS) developed by the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE). The STARS framework stresses the influence of a university’s investment policies and strategies on social and environmental well-being and the importance of establishing an engaged SRI committee, making positive sustainability investments, and performing shareholder advocacy for greater social and environmental responsibility.
We are also aided in this effort and exchange ideas and information with other schools through the Responsible Endowments Coalition.
At the request of the Sustainable Endowments Institute, we've posted a snapshot of our investment portfolio, available to the public online. The most recent snapshot from September 30, 2013 is available here:
- UofL Foundation Manager Holdings - (Public Traded) 9-30-2013
- UofL Foundation Manager Holdings - Hedge Funds (Long Only) 9-30-2013
More information about the University's finances is available here.
Socially-Responsible Retirement Funds
UofL offers employees socially-responsible investment options for employee retirement plans. These options are designed to give you investment income for a secure retirement while putting money behind companies you can feel good about. Options include:
- CREF Social Choice Account. Investing in companies that are: strong stewards of the environment, devoted to serving local communities, committed to higher labor standards, and managed ethically. More information available in this overview (pdf) or online here.
- TIAA-CREF Social Choice Equity Fund. The fund's investments are subject to certain environmental, social and governance criteria. The evaluation process favors companies that are strong stewards of the environment; devoted to serving local communities; committed to higher labor standards; dedicated to producing high-quality and safe products; and those managed in an exemplary or ethical manner. More information available online here.
- Fidelity Select Environment and Alternative Energy Portfolio. Investing primarily in companies engaged in business activities related
to alternative and renewable energy, energy efficiency, pollution
control, water infrastructure, waste and recycling technologies, or
other environmental support services. More information available online here.
More information about UofL's employee benefits and our human resources policies are available here.